24" SRC in Doubt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bugthrower, Feb 29, 2008.

1. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

I remember going with my dad to visit Walt Johnson when he was still alive, I was just a young naive kid who knew nothing about fishing or who he was other than a nice guy, and I went up to his tying room and he had a BIG fish on his wall. My dad told me later that it was a cutthroat that he hooked out of the Stilliguamish. I don't remember if it was 2 feet long or not but it was big. Any one else who knew him ever see that mount?

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

up here in AK resident coastal cutts can get prett freaking big, theres a bunch of lakes that the minimum size to keep one is 25"

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I have seen one fish that was 21 inches that I caught down by the lower Stilly concrete plant beside the big stump in middle of the river. I have seen several that are 18-19 inches.

That is the closest I have seen. I believe they exist though.

4. greyghost

greyghost Member

I've also never seen one much over 20". I catch a few every year that go between 17-19", but I've only caught one that I believe was just past the 20" mark. A couple of years ago I started looking through seining and trapping studies and saw that every fish recorded in those studies was less than 500 mm (19.7") as Preston stated earlier. Bring on those photos!

5. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

I wish I had remembered my camera the fish I caught yesterday was taped though as best as I could without removing it from the water, it wasn't chunky but it sure was long. I don't have as much experience as alot of you nor have I the knowledge that the combined years of fishing our waters for cutthroat that some of you bring to the table but I can say I caught one last year off of southworth that if anything was bigger, I mean this was a beefy fish I thought it was a salmon until I saw the slashes under its jaw, a guy fishing gear said to me thats a keeper no I said thats a cutthroat and then explained the regs to him as I released it.
    tony

6. Bugthrower

Bugthrower Willits

Home Page:
    I can't say I'm thrilled with taking the fish out of the water for this type of documentaion, but the golden rule doesn't lie. This is 20", now add another 4 inches? I anxiously await.
    [​IMG]

7. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

I am probably in the same boat at D3 as most of the big ones are in the 17 to 18 with two or three being over 20inchs and one for sure 22inch. I feel the nets get most of the ones that are mush bigger then that size and are as rare as white elephant.

9. Nick Andrews

Nick Andrews New Member

Keith,
    Maybe if you were not sure a purest you would catch more giant SRC's. I have offered to take you out more then once, but every time you just bitch about how I fish. How is life? If you want to go out this spring you know where to find me when you want to catch some consistent monsters. Take care, Nick

10. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Photo doesn't show it that well, but I believe this guy was around 20. I have big hands...

View attachment 12958

11. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Here's the biggest one I've personally seen caught so far.

[​IMG]

12. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Since the sportsmen of Washington pushed through a regulation that cutthroat could not be killed in marine waters (1997) the cutthroat have indeed had more time to grow to maturity. In south Puget Sound they also have a rich diet primarily feeding in saltwater which helps pack on the inches and pounds. This has been stated many times in the cutthroat threads on WFF.
    I doubt very much if any gill nets used by the tribes or commercial fishermen are of a size that they will take cutthroat....not yet anyway.
    Les Johnson

13. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

Les
    My thoughts are more along the lines of large cuts being netted
    with the pink runs. I tend to catch fewer large cuts on pink years in fresh water. My observation could be attributed to changes if river behavior on humpy years.
    Here's my personal best that I would estimate at 20"

speyflyfisher

Attached Files:

14. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Coastal cutthroat that are primarily lake dwellers (adfluvial) grow considerably larger than our anadromous coastal cutthroat. A coastal cutthroat of 14-1/2 pounds was taken from Lake Washington a few years back. It made the cover of Fishing & Hunting News. Coastal cutthroat from Crescent and Sutherland lakes on the Olympic Peninsula have been recorded to 9-pounds. I have been told by reliable sources in the BCDOF that some of the huge lakes on Vancouver Island have produced coastal cutthroats pushing 20-pounds. Most of these fish are takien by trollilng big plugs or spoons deep on lead-core line.
    Les

15. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Preston,

That record fish must have had an incredible girth; less than 20 inches but still over 6 pounds? That is amazing.

AKPW, most of the trophy AK cutts are not anadromous. They obtain their large size by living a long life in a lake and foraging on fish, primarily sockeye fry and smolt.

Les, I remember that fish from L. Washington. I had it on my screen saver for years. It was a beast of a fish.

D3, Those sea lice are weird looking. They must be different than the ones that usually attach to the vent area of salmon. Cool pics though.

There is an incredible amount of collective information on the board. From guys who target the fish pretty regularly to authors who have written extensively on the subject to bios who have spent a majority of their careers researching and catching these unique fish. I wish I had spent more time chasing them when I lived over there.