2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Walker, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

If our new President has his way concealed carry will be banned in the US. For everyone but the crooks that is. We will all be just targets at that point.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

So long as our President fills his role as defined by the Constitution of these United States of America he will never be able to rewrite the constitution so that we are unarmed. If our system of checks and balances and the democratic process fail and he gets "his way" then we may as well line up to be those targets or choose to be on the other side.

3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Since when has any of those (politcian) bastards ever paid any attention to the constitution which they swore to uphold? Checks & balances? Stack the Supreme Court with left wing liberals cconfirmed by Nancy Pelosi and the left wing Senate majority and there go your checks and balances.

Remember Heller vs, D.C. only won by one vote!

4. Ed Call

speyfisher, I guess you need to begin building your bunker, stockpiling guns and ammo and hoarding consumable supplies. I'm not convinced that the leader of the free world is that powerful enough on his own. I believe in the system more than I believe in the man. It takes much more than a simple majorty to alter the constitution by adding, deleting or modifying an amendment.

5. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Home Page:
  6. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I love how conservatives invoke the "liberal activist court" fear. If you haven't noticed the S.C. is composed of more conservatives than liberals. The most likley to retire justices are liberals. The latest appointments are likley to remain on the court for half a century. That doesn't even take into account the other federal judicial appointments. The court won't become more liberal anytime soon. If anything, it will become more conservative. So all you people who think that if you didn't have a hand gun you would be gunned down in the street at random--should be able to sleep easy.

By the way, Mumbles is right.

7. Ed Call

How often can you say that you see the above statement, here or anywhere? Derek Day, my new friend from the 542 East. Wonderful country. When will it be time to assault Mt Baker and Mt Shuksan?

8. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... un_control

Gun control
    As a state legislator in Illinois, Obama supported banning the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic firearms, increasing state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms and requiring manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.[233]

In 1996, during Obama's run for the Illinois State Senate, he was surveyed by a Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois about criminal justice and other issues. Obama's questionnaire showed that he supported a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns. Subsequently, Obama denied that his writing was on the document and said that he never favored a ban on the sale and possession of handguns.[234][235] In 1999, he urged prohibiting the operation of any gun store within five miles of a school or park, which according to gun-rights advocates would eliminate gun stores from most of the inhabited portion of the United States.[236] He sponsored a bill in 2000 limiting handgun purchases to one per month.

As state senator, he voted against a 2004 measure that allowed self-defense as an affirmative defense for those charged with violating local laws making it otherwise unlawful for such persons to possess firearms.[237] He also voted against allowing persons who had obtained domestic violence protective orders to carry handguns for their protection.[236]

From 1994 through 2002, Obama was a board member of the Joyce Foundation, which amongst other non-gun related activities provides funds for gun control organizations in the United States.[238][239]

While in the US Senate, Obama has supported several gun control measures, including restricting the purchase of firearms at gun shows and the reauthorization of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban.[240] Obama voted against legislation protecting firearm manufacturers from certain liability suits, which gun-rights advocates say are designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.[241] Obama did vote in favor of the 2006 Vitter Amendment to prohibit the confiscation of lawful firearms during an emergency or major disaster, which passed 84-16.[242]

During a February 15, 2008 press conference, Obama stated, "I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation."[243] Obama has also stated his opposition to allowing citizens to carry concealed firearms[244] and supports a national law outlawing the practice,[245][246] saying on Chicago Public Radio in 2004 "I continue to support a ban on concealed carry laws".[247]

Obama initially voiced support of Washington DC's handgun ban. Following the Supreme Court decision that the ban was unconstitutional, he revised his position in support of the decision overturning the law, saying, "Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe."[248] He also said, in response to the ruling, "I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms... The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view." [249]

After being elected as President, Obama has announced his support for reinstating the expired Assault Weapons Ban.

9. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Mumbles,

I have friends who made an assault today.

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I think I am looking more at a side by side. Traditionalist ya know. Maybe we could get into some sort of argument about whether an over under or side by side is more traditional, ethical, sporting, etc. like the dry line verses tip argument or swing verses nymph. Also I think there is an argument to be made over the cover one should wear while hunting with a side by side. Perhaps with the correct argument we could stretch this thread out to 7 or 8 pages. Wanna give it a go?

11. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Since the 1940s, where my memory on guns begins I've heard rants about losing our right to own guns. It has never happened and is not going to happen under President Elect Obama. NRA scare tactics are becoming less and less successful every year.
    I certainly support the right to bear arms for hunting, home protection or target shooting. I say this as one who carried an MI and two 45s during my stint in Korea as a Marine and know something about killing.
    All of you that think you are going to lose your guns shoujld lighten up. Protect your home, yourself and your loved ones for sure, but don't make a penile enhancent game out of it.
    Les Johnson

12. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

13. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

The day after the election there was a group
    of democrats going door to door asking if we
    owned any guns.

14. Ed Call

Kerry, in a word NOPE, you like your side by side, that is good with me. Nothing says home security system better than a 12 guage. I guess for hunting I normally would opt for a pump anyway, but the over under just has an appeal since I first sqeezed of a round in one as a lad. My uncle always had the best collections.

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Thank you Les. Yours and Derek Day's are two of the few voices of reason in this pity party of right wing paranoids.

Sure, change can be scary but it's no reason to lock and load.

K