3 or 4 steelies...or 7 - 8 bows and browns in the mid 20" range

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by generic, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

So your saying your gonna get skunked eh?

2. generic

generic Justified

Well, I came to my senses and went for the steelies. I went 3 for 5 today in 5 hrs...then it happened. Yep, broke my rod landing a fish. The bummer is, (other than breaking the rod), I still had half a day to fish! It's only the second time in 24 years that I forgot to bring my backup rod. Both times I forgot the spare, I broke my rod. Helloooo Murphy!

Turns out, the top section of my rod had come loose and the alignment was 90 degrees off. I guess rods aren't designed to bend sideways. Chalk it up as another reason I don't light 4 pc rods.

I called the fly shop, it's under warranty after I pay $65 and wait 5-6 weeks to get it back. Warranty? $65, 5-6 weeks? Oh well, things could have been worse. It's all a matter of perspective I guess. :)

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Or you can take it out to trent and possibly have it repaired for 15-25 dollars and void the "waranty"

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

I8abug,

Having the tip section 90 degrees off doesn't cause breakage. High sticking while landing fish breaks tip sections, which fits the description of what you say happened. Sorry about your misfortune, but congrats on getting hook ups; that's always a good feeling. Meanwhile, while you're waiting for your rod repair or replacement section, you might thoughtfully review how you play and land fish. Was it a fluke this time, or are you going to be an accident waiting to happen every time you land a steelhead?

Sg

5. generic

generic Justified

Funny thing is Dustin, I just made that call today. Ya, some "warranty" huh? I'll be seeing Steve soon.

Sg I've been doing this for over 10 years and have landed many steelies, so I don't think I'm an accident waiting to happen....wait, uh..never mind. :clown:
    Maybe there was a "flaw" there or something, but the fish did try to shoot between my legs at the moment it broke. I just noticed that the last section was loose and out of alignment. I didn't think that it would cause a break either, but maybe both factors came into play. Who really knows. Bottom line, my rod is broke and I need it fixed asap. Like I said, worse things could have happened, like not catching anything at all!

6. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

If you can guarantee 3-4 steelies, go for it. I don't know of any place on earth where you can do that!!!!

7. generic

generic Justified

Nothings for sure ever, but I did put 3 on the bank. That's a decent day I guess. If I only catch one or two, that's a bad day in my book. I know that sounds lame, but I don't have to compete as much as most of you guys do for a spot to fish.

By the way OMJ, those big bows and browns can't go anywhere so I figured I can always go back to them. Catching those however requires my 8 wt too!!! I used my 4wt a couple of times...bad idea.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

A loose ferrule is a recipe for a broken rod.

Nice day on the water. I don't have the brown option here so it's steelhead for me.

9. generic

generic Justified

You know PT, I have been frustrated with my ferrules coming lose all the time with that rod. I wonder if its a defect. It's hard to believe, but I know of three other guys that have the same rod, and none of them have the same problem. I think these rods are hand made, but I'm not sure. I don't know if I want to send the rod back for inspection - miss the best part of the steelie season, or just get it fixed. :hmmm:

10. PT

PT Physhicist

I'll mail/lend you my old reliable RPL 8100 and you can send your rod in to get fixed. You won't miss a thing. I might take you up on a day of steelheading your home water. Sounds like a pretty good deal for me.

11. generic

generic Justified

That would be over the top PT. As much as I appreciate your offer, I can't ask you to do that. As it turns out, when you said "old reliable", I went digging into my rod stash a few minutes ago and found my first graphite rod. An Orvis Rocky Mountain 6 wt. I'm back in the game!

That is very, very kind of you though. FLGator offered the same thing. However, I'd consider taking you to my spots. I'll shoot you a Pm tomorrow. That goes for you too FLGator.

My oldest boy has a football game tomorrow, if either of you don't hear from me by, say, 9 pm - shoot me a PM to remind me.