3 weeks in Atlanta in August.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Joepa, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

The culmination of a 16 month consulting project is going to require my presence for 3 weeks next month in Hotlanta. I'll be out there on weekends too so I'm hoping to get out for a full day or 2 with a fly rod someplace within reasonable distance from town. I know the Chattahoochee has some monster browns, but I'm thinking that the water will be too hot to target trout. I guess I'm expecting to do some top water popper fishing for Bass so I'm thinking about packing the belly boat. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

tailwaters like the hiwassee, tocoa, chatahochee,etc. will not be too warm in the areas near dams. that water is still very cold as it comes off the bottom of resovoirs. mountain streams like cooper's creek, rock creek, etc are put and take and stocking continues throughout the summer. they also stay cool being spring fed. shallow stillwaters do become pretty warm though. waters creek and dicks creek are small trophy streams sealed by waterfalls, but you have to buy a wildlife management area permit and a fishing permit to access them. not bad for georgia boys, but its mighty steep for out of staters. hitting those trout streams just during or after a rain can be excellent as the big browns come out to feed in the freshet.

3. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

If your going for Bass go for Lake Lanier. I know there are some guides that fly fish that Lake, and it is world renown for Big Fat Bass.

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

There are trout streams in the mountains of northern GA so beautiful that - well, they look nothing like Georgia. They'll probably be warm and thin by August. But wet-wading those streams may be such a welcome relief from Atlanta August weather that you almost won't care whether you catch trout.

5. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

I'm from Atlanta; cut my fly-fishing teeth in North Georgia. You can definitely still fish the Hooch for trout below Buford Dam down to Morgan Falls (just north of town). Downstream is my favorite part of the river (the trout C & R section around I-285). It will fish well for bass (largemouth and shoal bass) and sunfish. Then of course there's a zillion options in the mountains, though the majority of the trout water is pretty small. Most of the good ponds for bass and BG's are private. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Oh, you can also talk to the guys at the Fish Hawk in Buckhead; they know the score.

6. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Thanks guys. I'm staying in Buckhead so I'll check out that shop. I'm leaning towards hitting the mountains one weekend and maybe a lake another weekend if work permits. I'm pretty psyched about doing some exploring in the mountains - I'll try to block out thoughts of Deliverance. No doubt, I've meet my share of scary mtn folk in PA and WA so it can't be all that bad.

7. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

nah, I grew up there in north ga. we got as big a kick out of deliverance as anyone else. there's strange people whereever you go. the tocoa/ocoee just below blue ridge dam is very accessible and great wet wading. just keep a close eye on the water level as you can have to get out quick and perhaps on the wrong side of the river when the water turns on. might have a bit of a walk to get back accross. coopers creek might be a good bet up in the mountains, pretty stream.

8. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

The Toccoa is a good option, also the Chattooga (GA/SC border) has some big fish around the Hwy 28 bridge. The upper Chattahoochee is another great mountain stream. And there are stripers in Lanier; the Fish Hawk could steer you to a guide if you were interested.