3 weight recommendations

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DSFlyman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I had no idea such a thing was even possible!

2. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

How does the Carbon compare with the Classic rod? I love my 4wt Classic, though it's a bit heavy. I'm interested in the new Echos, maybe for stripers. As for that 3 weight, I have an Albright, and it's absolutely awesome. I use a WF4 line on it since "rivers" out here are 30-200 cfs.

3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I just bought a Reddington RS4 8' 3wt. I had cast a 5 and 6 weight RS4 some time ago and thought they were outstanding, especially for the money. I'd been looking for a lighter weight rod to hit some creeks this summer. I almost bought one several times at Sportsmans Warehouse ($210) but when they went on sale for $120 I couldn't resist. Bummer is , now they're $99.00:eek: IMO, this is a screaming deal for a rod that gives up very little to more expensive gear, both in performance and quality. I've cast plenty of more expensive rods that I didn't like as much. Matter of fact, I'm thinking about picking up a 5 weight too. If you can afford it the CPS, Reddington's premium line, is on sale for around $150.00. I liked that you could get a 7'6" in the CPS, but didn't want the faster action rod. I'd describe the RS4 as medium-fast, with the CPS being fast-medium, if that makes sense.

4. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I have a Winston Vapor 4wt that makes me wet every time I use it.Ha ha.I nice rod slow fast action(I think that might be medium).A very nice feel.If you look on ebay you can find new rod with free fly line.

5. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

I love my TXL. great rod.

6. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

my favorite 3wt rod is a 376 SLT. LOVE IT

7. LD

LD Active Member

I had an RS3 5wt then sold it to buy a CPS. The CPS has more power but it lacks feel in the tip for me, which I had the RS3 back. I have not fished the CPS in a 3wt but have an 8' 3wt in the RS3 and it is a great rod. So I think you actually got the better rod atleast for the 3wt. Great price either way. :thumb:

8. Luke Davis

Luke Davis Member

I have a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series 3 wt. I love it, it casts very nice and for 100 bucks, you cant go wrong. The only thing that I dont like is that its a two piece, but besides that its great

9. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

I have the Echo Classic 7'6" 3 wt. It is a very nice casting rod. Great little dry fly rod.

10. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I'll second that...

I don't fish graphite very much any more, but my little echo classic 3wt. is one that sees a fair amount of action on smaller waters...

11. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I have a 9 feet 3weight Elkhorn. I know they are made oversea's but I love the rod. They do have shorter one's. Also go on the net and look around. Iv'e found Classic fly fisherman, he sells used rods. I just picked up a JP Ross fly rod, 6'6" for a 2-3weight. Iv'e have only casted it on the lawn but I like it alot. Got it for only 100.00 and in mint condion. If you look around, you will find something.
    But remember everyone cast different and one I like or someone else likes may not be for you.
    GOOD LUCK
    JOHN

12. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

I've got several of Sage older 3wt's and love them all,hence my log on..if you want a nice 3wt I got a Sage 390 rpl for sale it's a spare I got lay'n around..send me a pm..look'n for 200.00+shp'n..

tight lines

13. Jim Corsetti

Jim Corsetti H20 - the elixir of life

Sage LL 389 - finest rod I own. Sorry though, not for sale. If you ever do see one sale though, buy it.

14. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

7"6' Winston BIIT great rod nice and slow but has enough back bone to get a fairly long cast when you need to. Love the rod for small creeks!!!!!

15. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Has anybody fished the Beulah 3 weight ? Three piece seven and a half footer they describe as medium action . Comes with an extra tip as well . Been thinking of picking one up , but would like some input .