3 wt Reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Ast, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I was on the market last year for a 3 wt reel. I searched high and low for one the would fit my budget I almost spent 50 bucks on one but I found on in my price range. I picked up a Martin 34 Fly reel for the huge price of $29.95 at Fran Johnson's in Butte. It was on sale. It even has a drag on it. But I doubt if I will ever need it on small fish.

I almost did what Chad did but 100 bucks for a 3 wt reel turned me off. I didn't need anything fancy, just something to hold line.

Jim

2. YangUW

YangUW New Member

Orvis Bar Stock. Light and relatively cheap, great reel.

3. softhackle

softhackle New Member

I use a Redington CD 3/4 reel. Great reel for a great price!

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

5. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Ross Colorado on my 3wt. You can find 'em on ebay. It's perfect for me. If I didn't have that, I'd go w/ the Orvis BBS.

6. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

I bought a Plueger Summit for a little Lamiglas "Spring Creek Special" I recentley bought for small fish and skinny water.

7. sashjo

sashjo Member

In the past, I didn't put stock in a good reel. That has all changed for me after buying my first Evo. You never know what you might hook with 3 wt, so a good drag is a plus. I got into a chinook last fall. I didn't land him but it was a good battle before the breakoff.

8. zipmyfly

zipmyfly New Member

I think I might have brought up that post about 3#", and I went with the advice of 4 people on the board and 3 IM's on a Three River 3# by Cabelas. I like Cabelas because they have a large selection of rods. I tested a bunch of rods and for the price, I went with the Three Rivers rod and with the combo price I got the CSR 1 with backing and line for $114.00. I tossed the line and backing and got better backing and Cort444 peach 3# WF. What a blast that rod is and the reel works well. Check Cabelas on line and check pricing.

9. Fly Fanatic

Fly Fanatic Bull Trout

Home Page:
    I have a Pflueger Medalist 1492 on my 3 wt. It's light (4 oz), reliable, and a bargain at $25. I was even able to put about 50 yards of backing on it with my SA GPX line no problem.

10. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

I have a Islander IR-1 on my 7.5 ft 3wt. Nice little click and prawl reel....

11. Robert Evans

Robert Evans Member

I have an okuma sierra s4/5 that i really love. it was around $35 and i have honestly caught more fish with it and my llbean quest 3wt than any other rod. You can just fish the really hard to access spots and hidden or densly forested holes. Good luck building, some day i wish to take on a project.ptyd

12. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I was in the same delema since I collect rods and reels. I thought I would try severel different ones. All from ebay. A lamson valosity 1.5, cimmoron 1, abel spring creek cl, hardy disk 4, hardy feather weight, hardy markman. I like the feather weight the best. All were from ebay, and a decent price. The abel is sweet. The marksman sucks, it would break a fine tippet.

13. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Agreed. I hooked a nice kokanee on the upper wynoochie a few weeks ago and was glad I had drag.

14. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

I use a Ross CO-1 and CO-0. The CO-0 doesn't allow for much backing so would better compliment a 2wt. They have a click pawl drag which is all you need for the micros but will also handle big fish as well. This Spring I stuck a 21" brown on my 4wt and CO-1.

15. Luke Ramirez

Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

I bought a cheap ($25) scientific anglers reel for my 3wt. It's perfect! I'm more concerned about the weight than the drag capability...

But I guess if I hooked into a Chinook or a Kokanee I might change my mind :) The biggest fish I've caught on this setup is a 15" bow from an alpine lake and the cheap reel was just fine for that guy!