3 wt rods and misc inquiry.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eyejuggler, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

IMHO, the virtues of ultra-light (and large arbor) reels are vastly overexaggerated by the flyfishing industry as a tactic to convince folks to buy new reels.

The weight of a reel by itself isn't nearly as important as having a reel-line-rod combination that balances somewhere around the rod handle's winding check when the rod is strung up and ready to cast. An ultralight reel on a heavy weight rod will not balance any better than an ultralight rod with a heavy reel does.

But even then, the impact of a hugely out of balance combination is minimal and will likely manifest itself only as incremental arm and shoulder fatigue at the end of the day.

K

2. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    Great info keeps coming! Thanks for the input and I am glad my post wasn't too redundant, seems like a good time to start looking at spring creek kits and I got a good bit of info.
    Thanks heaps, looking forward to getting the set up, like I said I have never fished glass so it will behoove me to check some out as I have always been just graphite, but for smaller fish, glass seems like it matches the catch better. But, the feel in hand will be the factor.
    Thanks folks!
    Dave

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Eyejuggler, I hope that what you're getting from this thread (and from many others here) is that there isn't one single 'right' way to do things. Personal preferences, skill, experience, budget and blind luck all have their place and play a role. The setup or technique that works for me might not work for someone else. The only way to find out is to try it. When you find something you like and that works, stick with it.

K

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I use a Sage 279 LL. The little 2wt. is a wonderful rod. I use it on a lake I fish fairly often, but not always because of a little wind, but, it still does fine. A 12 inch fish can feel like a 15 incher sometimes!
    I recently purchased a Redington 3wt. CT 8'6" and am anxious to use it. I think the 2wt is better in the small creeks than a 3wt.

5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

can't wait for our trib streams to open 2 months from now. so many places to hike during runoff! it's like skykomish creeks but with grizzly bears.

Josh and Old Man like this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have yet to come across a bear when I've been fishing. I see Elk when I'm out riding my ATV even a few Moose off in the distance. But no bears of any kind. Hell I haven't even seen a snake but one time since I've lived here, and it wasn't even rattlesnake.

7. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

I really like my 7'6" superfine touch paired with a CFO for most applications. I use it for all of the Snoqualmie Forks and tribs and any other small water that I come across. It isn't a fast rods by any means but I can still throw enough line when needed and the CFO balances with it nearly perfectly. I use a 8'6" or 9' (can't remember) CT that works great for alpine lakes. I also have an old glass Scott Powr ply (that i think is from the 70's or 80's) that it pretty fun but when it comes to casting in really tight places I just don't feel that I can make the spot on casts with it. I think what I'm trying to say is that you don't need one 3 weight, you need at least three.

Porter likes this.
  8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yeah I agree with above statement, but now I'm convinced I want to get one of the new orvis click and pawl reels (2013 model). Any word on their availability yet? There has been no reply on other thread or else I missed it. Seems like a perfect small streamer reel (MHO)

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Porter, I was one of the first to order the new Battenkill click pawl which I heard was going to be available on March 25 or 28. It didn't happen and the Orvis shop that I ordered from called back east to find out what the deal was. Latest estimate was May 1. Stay tuned, looks like it will be awhile yet.

Ive

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Thanks Ive. Soon as they are in I'm making the trip to bellevue to check out (if they have them). Please update, much appreciated!

11. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Have a look at these. http://www.mudhole.com/docs/versi10.html I have the Versitex IGF704 IM6 and although they claim it is a fast action 4 wt, I find it to be a rather slow action 3wt! This was the first light weight rod I had ever cast. And, at the time, the slowest rod I had ever cast. It turned out to be a real jewel for working small water. I only wish it were a 3 or 4 piece. My vote definitely goes to the lighter, shorter, slower rods.

Criteria as follows:
    1. Able to cast anything from small dry fly on at least a 9.5' leader tapering to a 7x tippet with minimum line out of the tip, cast a bead head nymph with spit shot and a yarn indicator, a weighted egg fly, or muddler minnow a respectable distance, sometimes with minimum back cast room.
    2. Soft enough to handle 7x tippet, but enough authority fight a 15" trout in moving water,,,most of the time.
    3. Accuracy & delicacy rules over distance.
    4. Relaxing to cast all day long.

12. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I have a lot of nice rod's but. When I was in airway heights last year I didn't have the right one for crab creak till last year. A sage LL 3wt 5"6', What a perfect rod for that creek. for technical fishing at it's best. Pair it with a hardy two screw fly weight. Haven't used that rod any were else, I like to buy my rod's for water's I fish. I have fished a lot of water's and is my excuse for being a gear whore.

p.s. What a freaking fantastic rod it is, never seen one. Had to have it, and thanks to the gentleman on this forum that sold me that last year.

Nooksack Mac and Cedar like this.
  13. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

I like to buy rods for specific water too but I'm having a hard time convincing my wife that I need 20+ rods

14. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I run Redington Drift reels on my 2 & 3 weight rods, and they balance very well.

I had a Drift 3/4 on my Sage 379 LL, and thought it was a tad too heavy, didn't balance well. Switched it to the Drift 2/3, and it feels so much better in the hand.

One can go overboard with the ultra-light thing, but the rod has to balance well or it just won't feel right...to me anyway.

Stew McLeod and Eyejuggler like this.
  15. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer