Naknek River, Alaska

Salmo_g

Well-Known Member
#1
A friend and I flew to King Salmon Sept. 15 and fished through the 20th. They say the weather gets iffy in September. The wind blew 4 out of 5 days that we had for fishing. Nothing like gale force wind to force a guy to focus on good Spey casting technique. Sometimes it took me 4 casts to get one out on the river, but I learned that a well executed cast will shoot, even into a very strong wind. On Monday there was no wind, hence the bug headnet shot. Nonetheless, we caught some very nice rainbow trout.
 

Attachments

#2
Way to go Steve! Those trout are more than "very nice", they're unbelievable. I spent many summers guiding in that general area but never had a chance to fish the Nak Nek. Someday...

OK Amigo, why so modest? Let's see a picture of you hoisting one of those beauties. I'm calling you out!
 

Salmo_g

Well-Known Member
#6
Dec,

I am hoisting the one next to my CND. The only other hero shot of me has a blade of grass between the camera lense and the fish, and that was my biggest fish, naturally. I don't take many fish pictures. Besides, the weather kinda' discouraged it. High energy trout. No steelhead yet has taken me into the backing on that reel (120' line), but a few of those trout did! I saw backing I hadn't seen since I first spooled it on that reel.

Charles,

It was a great experience, but I'm not recovered enough just yet to catagorize it as fun. We earned every single strike, wading on unsteady footing, casting our guts out trying to get a line and fly on the water. The photos only show the finish line of the successful launches. You don't see all the crash and burn casts we made.
 

Salmo_g

Well-Known Member
#10
AK,

Yes, strictly wade fishing. From well above Rapid Camp around an area called the islands I think upstream to about a half mile below the lake outlet. Most places we fished had little to no backcast room. Sometimes I couldn't wade more than 10-15' from shore without risk of being swept off my feet. My hamstrings still want to cramp up at times from that workout.

Only tried beads for the first half hour or so on the first day. Got some grabs from tiddlers and grayling, but not the trout we were after. Used flesh patterns 4-5" 90% of the time and an olive sculpin and black MOAL the other 10%.

Sg
 

ak_powder_monkey

Proud to Be Alaskan
#12
AK,

Yes, strictly wade fishing. From well above Rapid Camp around an area called the islands I think upstream to about a half mile below the lake outlet. Most places we fished had little to no backcast room. Sometimes I couldn't wade more than 10-15' from shore without risk of being swept off my feet. My hamstrings still want to cramp up at times from that workout.

Only tried beads for the first half hour or so on the first day. Got some grabs from tiddlers and grayling, but not the trout we were after. Used flesh patterns 4-5" 90% of the time and an olive sculpin and black MOAL the other 10%.

Sg

Thanks maybe I'll make my way up to that area next time I'm stuck in king salmon
 

doublespey

Steelhead-a-holic
#15
Nice fishies SG! Sounds like a great (if challenging) trip.

If I didn't know better I'd think they ~were~ steelhead. Nice silvery sheen to those 'bows.

BTW - who was running the sled? :)


Brian