Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

5K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  bennysbuddy 
#1 ·
The cartridge looks like half a 9 mm as I recall. I'm asking about this because I got a Cabela's flier yesterday with the Ruger LCP .380 on sale for $199, which is $130 lower than normal. A friend of a friend has a .380 for his everyday carry, a different brand, but he finds the compact size convenient. I haven't shot one. I thought I would carry my 9 mm some, but I don't, because it's really not convenient, so it remains a home defense weapon. Anybody have an informed opinion about the .380 as an easy carry piece?

Sg

#3 ·
I've talked with a few folks who have the Ruger LCP and they like it. Shoots well, easy to conceal. At close range the .380 should be okay for self-defense.

Normally, for EDC I carry a full size 1911 in .45 ACP. I have enough girth that I can keep the gun concealed well. For those times when I don't want to carry a gun that big, I have a Ruger LC9S that I like a lot. I can throw the gun in the pocket of a light jacket or a hoody and forget that it's there. Light weight, single stack 9mm, small enough to conceal easily and shoots well. Close to 700 rounds through it in a month and a half and never a problem. A great gun for those times I just want to make a quick trip to the store or the drive thru espresso place.

What jake-e-boy said is spot on. If it doesn't feel good in your hand, don't buy it.

#7 ·
Normally, for EDC I carry a full size 1911 in .45 ACP. I have enough girth that I can keep the gun concealed well.
Same here. Most folks don't know what to look for, so printing a bit doesn't bother me. I consider the folks who do know what to look for as being on the same team as me. The key to carrying for me has been finding the right holster. I got a Bladetech Total Eclipse, and tote a big 1911 and 2 spare mags all day in comfort. Mostly with just a hoodie. Find someone with a drawer full of holsters, and try a bunch out. Feel free to make that someone me. We talked about getting together for some shooting in the past. I smell a WFF range day!

#5 ·
During the summer months I usually carry a .380 Walther PPK/S; it's an accurate & reliable shooter as well as the most natural-pointing handgun I own. The LCPs aren't comfortable either in my hand or when shooting a lot of rounds, but are reliable & easy to carry/conceal. My preferred carry lately has been a compact 9 mm Glock 43; light & easily concealable, reliable & accurate.

#8 ·
I will check the hand fit. It looks like it's a two finger grip. There's always compromises when making something small and light. I think the Walther is what the friend of friend carries. It has a bit longer grip than the LCP.

Yeah, O-rad, I'd like that a lot. I need to renew my Range Pass to use the gravel pit on the fort property near my house.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a Glock 43 too. It's really small, but with granular Talon Grips even my XL hands like shooting it. Worth trying out.

A new one I am curious to try is the Walther PPS M2. I have a PPQ 9mm (long barrel) that is the best handgun I've shot in terms of trigger, grip ergonomics and accuracy. The new PPS adopts similar ergonomics and is still nearly as small as the smallest nines.

Orad, I hope you really don't think people who don't carry aren't on your team.

#11 ·
The cartridge looks like half a 9 mm as I recall.
As the article points out: the "half" part is in like guns. Since the the .380 is often chambered in smaller/lighter guns, it's going to recoil more. Less than in the exact same gun chambered in 9mm, yes, but then many 9mm guns are heavier. On the flip side, while a lighter gun negates might recoil advantage, it does mean carrying around a lighter gun all the time, which is not a bad thing.

#12 ·
I carry a sub compact Glock 27 or a mid size 23 depending on time of year and the days activities, they are both .40 caliber pistols, I find the .40 the perfect compromise between size, capacity, and ballistic capability.
If I'm feeling uppity or dressing for success I will carry my Bill Wilson Carry 1911 in .45 from Wilson Combat
There is new ammo out now like the Federal 9mm 147gr HST's, they do a good job of closing the gap that has always existed in terms of ballistic superiority and ability for women etc to get shots on target due to recoil reduction, hence the FBI electing to go to the 9mm from .40 recently.
Personally, I would not trust my life to a .380, it is not even in the same ballpark as a HST 9mm, let alone a .40, and yes shot placement is everything and all things being equal if you hit the bad guy in the vitals or head, sure you live to fight another day, but go out and shoot some jugs of water, or ballistic gel and observe the significant differences for yourself in the destruction and wound channel cavities,do that and I think you will choose to carry at least a 9mm.
If you do get a .380, and that's certainly your prerogative, you might consider the G42 and not the LCP, just my 2 cents.
Firearms are like everything in that its great to get a good deal, but not if its not the right gun. ;-)
Good luck!

#14 ·
I shot the ruger a few times , my thought was whoa ! Didnt feel nice and recoil i thought was a bit much for a .380..
I had a Bersa Thunder at the time that was a tad bigger but stayed on target with light recoil .. Since then ive picked up the Glock 42 & 43 , i was impressed with the 42 as a .380 as i feel having a .380 a key point is being able to make both a good first shot and fast accurate follow up shots and for a "small" ccw weapon i get that with both the 42&439mm but didnt with the LCP ..

#15 ·
Define your needs, find a handgun you like that fits both you and those needs, and get a suitable holster. While I have the legendary "drawer full of holsters" to accommodate different handguns & applications, for concealed-carry I prefer Kydex holsters & really like Bravo Concealment OWB models as well as Alien Gear IWB holsters, but there are a lot of options out there. Don't scrimp on a holster; comfort, fit, & utility are important. A gun that you're reluctant to carry or shoot proficiently (if daily carrying where legal is your intention) is worthless. And if you do find "your gun," practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

#17 ·
The .380 is also known as the 9mm "kurtz", for "9mm short". I carry one frequently, in the form of a PPK. the "S" magazines will work well in the standard PPK, and hold one more round, so I have several of those in addition to the one in the pistol. They all still have some weight to them, but the heaviest is my P226 Sig in .40. that's a full on combat pistol though, and not meant for concealed carry. that monster carried on your belt, will pull off your pants!!

#18 ·
LOL, I know what ya mean Alex, I came up carrying government model 5" 1911's, talk about heavy, ugh, then we changed over to the Beretta 92 (M9), not much better, perhaps aside from the reliable function and not having to trip if I scratch it, that's why I like Glocks so much, but still a fully loaded G21 is a chunk O' pistol for sure. ;-)

#22 ·
Salmo,
There are a number of good responses here but there are also a few misdirected ones.
First, I have shot an LCP and it is very narrow, which is nice to carry but awful to shoot.
This is not a cartridge issue, but a grip issue.
Also, the grip is very short, as you mentioned. If you can get 3 fingers on it, good for you. For many, this will dictate the controllability at the moment when SHTF, and the range is not the place for you to learn this.
I carry a Kahr PM9, which has a slightly wider grip, although still single-stack. It is very concealable, has very manageable recoil, and I have a choice of a flush magazine or one with a grip extension, which makes it very controllable. I put a Hogue slide on grip sleeve, which adds a couple of finger grooves, and is softer and tacky, completely changes the personality of the gun.
Personally, I find the Kahr in 9mm easier to shoot and just about as concealable as the Ruger .380.

#27 ·
Went to Cabela's big sale. Wow, could hardly find parking in their 100 acre lot. Out of LCPs just as I walked to the gun shop. Oh well, it was the keen price that piqued my interest, that and the easy conceal part. I'll keep an open mind and eye, and listen to what O-rad said about the right holster. However I'll be astounded if any can make my SR9 "concealed."

#28 ·
Like my Glock 23 .40 S&W and Glock 30 .45 ACP a lot. Not sub compacts, but fit my hands well, shoot well and work in various holsters comfortably. Shoulder rig does a very good job hiding the goods.

Don't like my Glock 17 full sized 9mm. I will try to move it in favor of a mid sized similar to the 23 or 30. That size range works better for me.

#35 ·
The Ruger LCP

Totally agree. Not the most enjoyable sub to shoot, but it disappears into front jeans pocket, with light holster. It's why I have carried it almost every day for 4 years. it's been flawless at the range, up to 200 rounds, before it has ever jammed. I have larger than average size hands and had to teach myself how to keep my trigger finger slightly bent for rapid fire. Pretty damn accurate to 20 yards, always hit a small paper plate. If you doubt it's capability in a combat range, check out the pro's at Ruger shooting it.

#30 · (Edited)
I've shot the LCP quite a bit. It's a cute little lady weapon...and is surprisingly painful to develop any sort of proficiency...teeny handgrips/mass relative to recoil.

My carry is a Glock 30...billed as a 'subcompact', though it's a double stacked .45. Conceals pretty good with a decent IWB holster. It's accurate, and comfortable to shoot...which, to my mind anyway, is important because you need to shoot a carry weapon a lot to develop 'point' and muscle memory. Frankly, I don't mind a carry weapon with enough heft to remind me it's there...as long as it doesn't expose my boney old ass by dragging my pants down.

I suppose a CC gun like a LCP is ok if your strategy is to simply unload rounds downrange at a hopefully fleeing target. Me...I like to hit what I shoot at, with serious damage. Otherwise...might as well carry a noisy little 22 (which is exactly what I've done on occasion...a Ruger SR22 is extremely concealable, yet appears convincingly lethal to the average methhead).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.