3wt or 4wt for Snoqualmie and small creeks/rivers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Driften, Aug 17, 2006.

1. WPEB

WPEB member

I agree that the avid is a little to slow for me, and I don't like fast rods. But my 6wt seems to work great for streamers with a full sink line.

The 9' 4wt launch has been a great rod for me and fished with a medalist has been a lot of fun for small fish, but can also bring in the bigger fish with little trouble. A medalist is a great reel: cheap, can handle bigger fish, and practically indestructible= my kind of reel.

2. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

Just to mix things up .... I wouldn't go with a 3 or a 4 wt.

I fish the MF a lot and I prefer a 7 ft 2 wt - but I am a gear freak and I like to have a "perfect" rod for each situation versus the "buy one that works for all situations" approach.

Just my 2 cents

3. hatchetjack

hatchetjack New Member

Greetings from North Bend!

This is my first time posting and I've lurked around here and there for a time. Nice to have so many local threads.

I thought this would be a good place to start since the South Fork is right in my back yard or more distinctly, across the street.

My 10 year old and I spend at least 4 days a week on the river, especially after dinner till dark.

Ethan, my son has been fishing with a fly rod for about 3 years and has started to come into his own this summer season. He does very well on the South Fork with a 7ft. 3 wt. It's a little short for nymphing but he manages and it really suits his size. The South Fork has been a great place for him to learn.

I find a 9ft. 4wt. works well for the South Fork especially for nymphing the pockets and deeper summer holes and I also carry a 7 ft. 3 wt. for dry flies in the evening.

If anyone is out on the South Fork in North Bend and see a dad and a kid with a Red Sox hat, That'll be Ethan and I.

BTW, the fishing slowed the last few evenings when this little cool down happened. I'm hoping the warmer weather this week will perk things up. Here's a little South Fork cutt I picked up recently.

Hatchet-

[​IMG]

4. BigDog2002

BigDog2002 Gone Fishing

3wt, or even lighter!!

I sometimes enjoy playing around in the snoqualmie, I'll admit it. I haven't yet fished the whole thing, but my exprience is it's a great little fishery for those who like to catch fish. Small, yes, but put a 3wt or lighter on them and you're in for fun. I had a 10" cutthroat rip line off my 3wt reel like it was a frickin' steelhead, hot little fish!

I use an Orvis full flex 3wt, it's great for the smaller trout, and wasn't terribly expensive. The good thing is it's capable of 17" trout as well, ask me how I know? Try the Yak up by Cle-Elum when the flows are down in the fall, great fun, but watch out for summer steelies, 3wt definitely won't handle that!

-----------
    BigDog2002

5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

I think an 8' 4wt is a bit more versatile. I busted mine last year, and replaced that with a 7' 4wt, and it just doesn't get the same distance that is sometimes needed. It handles heavier stuff ok, but I'm always a little scared of whacking my head with a beadhead. Also, the lighter your rod is, the more likely you are to miss a hookset.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I will second the motion on this rod. I also have one and use it on Montana streams. The smaller sections I mean. I have it matched up with Cortland Vista reel and Rio Mainstream line. It all works like a dream. The vista reel has a drag on it for what I don't know. I don't think that I need a drag on a three wt.

Jim

7. Driften

Driften New Member

Thanks guys! You have provided me with lots of info and things to think about.

8. Nolan

Nolan New Member

I am also pretty new in fly fishing(1year) and have learned a lot by trail and error. I picked up the TFO Pro 4wt in February and love it. After buying that rod I realized I would like to get something a little smaller for those light/tight situations. So right now I am almost done building a 2wt rainshadow. I plan on using my Ross CLA 4wt(1.5?) reel and just buying a new spool for it.

Nolan

9. Driften

Driften New Member

After all your comments and debating with my self I bought a Sage Launch 386-4 and an Orvis Battenkill Barstock reel. Some day I will have several rods like some of you guys filling the closet to meet any situation and for now I have a quality rod/reel to get going on.

Thanks again for the advise.

10. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

I finally took my Christmas present out for the first time this weekend on the SF Snoqualmie and was very, very happy with it. (Life's been a little odd this year)

It is a TFO Professional Series 3Wt 7'6" 4pc. Strung with good old Cortland 444 classic DT in peach. Now, I am not an old pro at all things fly fishing, so take my advice with as many grains of salt as your dietary situation will allow.

Without a doubt, that is the best casting combination I've ever exerienced. The closest I have ever been to just thinking the fly into position on the water, Effortless.

Funny, I thought I could feel the difference between a large attractor type pattern and a small sparkle dunn on the end of my tippet. Pretty cool.

Mending was pretty good too.

I did feel a little over-gunned for the size of fish that I caught, but hey, we really don't expect to have to play a 6" fish for 20 minutes and suffer burning forearms in the process do we? ;)

DD