4 day trip where would you go?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by neophyte, Aug 29, 2013.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    I'd probably stowaway under Stonefish's rig when he's taking his Mid-September break, stuck up under there with velcro and duct tape and bailing wire and stuff, and and just kind of nonchalantly pop out and end up fishing wherever he is. That or hide under Roger Stephen's boat tarp, in Sciguys wheel well or Evan B's cooler or something. If I had four days starting about now it would not involve heading East from Seattle...

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Well, I've been thinking about the next 4 days, myself. I can drive 57 miles to get in some bank fishing for Kings, 4 miles to launch for some paddling for cutthroat, 12 miles to launch for trolling for Kings in the salt, and 7 miles to get in some surfing. Back home at night to drink a couple of micro-brews. Thats 160 miles RT total mileage, or about $23 worth of gas (premium). Add on burning about a gallon and a half or so for my 4-stroke outboard, and the total fuel cost is still less than $30. All the stores, gas stations, eateries, etc. are en route.

But I understand that the fishing is always better if you have to drive a long ways to get to it.
    But I'm going to stay local anyway, and make do with my sucky venues.;)

If I have any spare time left over, I can tie flies and fight the moles!

Builder likes this.
  3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    There was a rubber plug missing under the floor mat in my old '72 Datsun 1600 p/u, and I ran a relief tube down thru that. Didn't have to empty any bottles, and the funnel was useful for other purposes.

I did use a new-looking apple juice bottle in my old '62 VW camper bus, since I couldn't lock it. Kept it in my cooler.:D

BASS_TURDS and Matt B like this.
  4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

If you want to optimize fishing time, pick a good destination and drive however many hours it takes to get there, and fish until it is time to pack up and drive home.

Of course, if you really want to do all that driving every day (as well as setting up and breaking camp every day), and not drive more than 6 hrs in a day, I'd head east on I-90 to the N Fk Couer d'Alene, then over into MT to Rock Creek or the Bitterroot, then back over Lolo Pass to the Lochsa, then home.

D

5. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

We drive to Spokane all the time all year long....it takes us 4.5hrs or 5 from Renton if we stop for food in Ellensburg. That's with three little kids.

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Hey Old Man. They put this stuff on the two rut track you call roads. It's called asphalt.:)
    You can go much faster now.

7. neophyte

neophyte Member

Thank you -- that's a splendid suggestion, and all I have to do now is buy the redbulls and I'm set ...

8. neophyte

neophyte Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

9. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

And see a cardiologist to make sure your heart can handle marathon sleep deprivation and a diet of Red Bull and fly fishing adrenaline.

10. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I did a 7 day whirlwind trip. I went to Beda, Owyhee, Silver and Big Wood, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Yakima... it was a lot of driving. That said, it was a lot of good memories - and a blur! You have to be ok with a) driving at night b) not sleeping much c) sleeping / camping light! You have to have it worked out in terms of how you sleep and be ready to.

Re diet: eat like crap, feel like crap. Eat well, feel well. Choose healthy snacks. Keep your blood sugar up. Don't plan to hang out and cook - plan to have quick healthy stuff to eat.

Re hydration and caffeine - THIS IS IMPORTANT! I was told 1:1 ratio of coffee to water. I overdo this when in need of Monster at 1 am. I drink a lot of water - and caffeine and/or energy drink when needed. It saved my life perhaps at 2 am or whatever coming down from ID into MT towards Dillon heading North. If I hadn't been WIRED I would have hit a large and really stupid doe as she jumped out and decided to change directions twice.

I'm going to do a Fall trip into MT... last week of September I hope the weather holds. I've done what you're talking about a couple times. So, this time I'll set up a week camp somewhere central to a lot of good fishing and be more settled this time.

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

You can make it from Seattle to Libby, MT in about 6-7 hours and it's arguably the best time of year for the Kootenai river. From there you also have the Yaak and the Flathead within easy reach. Drive less, fish more :cool:

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You all that go from Seattle to Montana, Do you ever drive the Speed limit. We have speed limits in Montana but out of Stater's don't obey them. Even when I drive a little faster, I still get passed like I'm standing still.

13. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

OM...The cars driving the speed limit in the passing lane are the out of staters (WA). The cars that are passing you have MT plates...IMHO

14. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Speed what? Man you are getting old! :)

15. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

OM - I know you may find it hard to remember what it was like in Washington, but our speed limit hasn't been 55 mph in at least 15 years. I'm concerned you're gonna get run off the road one of these days.