4 sale anywhere? Miyawaki Beach Popper's

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Happy Gilmore, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    I can report that Columbia River smallmouth bass hammer a Miyawaki Beach Popper when they're hanging out in a current seam off a point or rock.

I also hooked jack Crevalle and sierra mackerel on beach poppers in Mexico. I think I would have hooked many dorado as well, but I left my popper box in the hotel room that day. :(
    I'm dying to try Beach Poppers on roosterfish. I'm convinced that they will work.

Puget Sound sea-run cutts go nuts over Miyawaki poppers -- in fact they get so eager that the sometime miss the fly entirely. That's OK, as they usually swing around for another shot.

2. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I can't remember the name of the shop, but there's a small fly shop in Port Townsend. The owner ties and sells beautiful Miyawaki poppers (and as far as I know, ties every fly sold in the shop). Does 'em with polar bear too, just like Leland used to.

At least I think Leland told me he uses something else these days. Talked to you a few months ago when I was in the store doing a rod warranty, and I think I remember you saying that when I mentioned the flies from the Port Townsend store.

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

4. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

That would be PT Anglers, a small but really fun shop!

5. Dean Moody

Dean Moody A BC Islander

Thank you very much
    I called the first number listed but they wouldn't ship to BC
    So I got ahold of http://www.ptangler.com/catalog.htm and they were more than happy to send me both the full poppers and the materials to make them.
    Sure appreciate the help guys, been trying to track these down for almost a week now.

6. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Hi Leland,

Can you post detailed advice on exactly how to fish/retrieve your MB Poppers as well as poppers in general? I know there are variables involved according to the conditions but do you normally strip fast, pause, strip slow, pause or just strip, strip, strip, strip making the popper spash and skate across the surface until you see a fish hit and then strip, pause long enough to allow the hook-set and then rod-set the hook? Don't know if that makes any sense but can't think of a better way to say it.....sorry! :eek:

I have tried a couple of different poppers recently but don't think there were any fish around to validate my technique - or invalidate it for that matter! :beathead:

Jc :)