400 dollar budget

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by D3Smartie, Feb 28, 2005.

1. rodandreel

rodandreel New Member

Home Page:
    D3--Dan's 9' FT blanks are perhaps best compared to the TCR in terms of actual angle of action (both are high 70degrees AA), but the FT even in the shorter length is markedly more forgiving and easier to cast. In fact, we've sold them to numerous customers who are in the early stages of fly fishing and none have expressed problems casting them. Heck, I can cast 'em! ;)

The 10' are MUCH different animals, IMO. I love 'em (not that I don't like the 9'-ers). More of a moderate-fast to fast instead of ultra-fast action, and you can really see/feel them load progressively. They have a lot of the characteristics you want in a powerful switch or two-handed rod, which is no doubt why Meiser thinks so highly of them! In fact, I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, but I bet if you contact Bob via his website (http://www.meiserflyrods.com/) he'll be happy to give you a thorough rundown on them. If not, drop by www.rodbuilding.org and post a thread asking for the best 10' 10wt blank for a switch rod, and you'll see what I mean.

All the best,

John

The Rocky Mountain Rodbuilding Supply Co.
    Your source for the finest in fly rod blanks and components.

www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com

2. sdcanoe

sdcanoe Member

I have a factory built Sage 10' 8wt. SLT and would be interested in adding a lower grip as Scott Behn has described, to convert this rod into a light spey like the Meiser switch rod. I am wondering if this can be done on a completed rod or does the lower grip have to be added when the rod is built? Also, does any one have any input on the whole idea of using this rod for a switch style spey rod.
    Steve.

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

john.... if i wanted to order that blank and all the nessesary good components from you could you help me out?
    thanks david
    dssmart@pepperdine.edu

4. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Steve,
    You can do this to your finished Sage, but the drawback is your going to most likely void any warranty you have on the rod. If you have any questions on how to add the extra length let me know.

:thumb:

5. rodandreel

rodandreel New Member

Home Page:
    Hi David! Just sent you a PM. We'd be delighted to get you into a Dan Craft. I don't think you'll ever look back! :)

John

The Rocky Mountain Rodbuilding Supply Co.
    Your source for the finest in fly rod blanks and components.

http://www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

About a decade ago, when I was beginning to get curious about spey rods, I built a fly rod on an 11 1/2 foot G. Loomis graphite spinning/casting blank. I finished it with a short permanent butt, a long full wells handle, and a little upper fighting grip (about five inches long) a short distance above that. If I was doing it again, I'd build it more like a short spey rod, with a long enough lower butt to get a good grip on, and a long but nicely tapered upper grip.
    In effect, it was what is now called a switch rod. It casts beautifully with WF10 lines. I had it out and was trying it again recently. I think I'll try it during this autumn's chum season on smaller rivers.
    A blank doesn't "know" that it was designed for one kind of line or another. If you're willing to experiment, there are many more suitable blanks than were designated for fly rods.