Hating on the Renzetti Traveler

Just had the adjustment screw break on me for the third time, and the cam was closed less than halfway. The screw shot like a projectile towards my face, and fortunately hit my glasses, otherwise I would probably be blind in my left eye now. So moral of the story, spend your money on something else.

g_smolt

Recreational User
That happens to those of us that use them a lot. Happened only twice to me before I smartened up and got a stainless steel socket-head cap screw to replace it with. Thousands of flies later, no breakage.

The Traveler is a great vise with a few shitty components. Adapt and overcome, Young Jedi.

Yeah I'm gonna make a trip to the hardware store today and try to find the strongest screw they sell. Not gonna settle for anything less than kryptonite.

Have had a traveller for over 15 years and no problems, except for the little o-ring breaking/cracking. Just picked up few of those at the hardware store and voila. You indeed are lucky not to have sustained an injury. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade that screw too on my part.

Be careful not to torque down too hard on your hooks either. I actually used to myself and have had TMC 2457's snap while fighting some fish bawling:, right where I had the hook in my vise when I tied that fly. Happened a couple of times to me and on my friends as well, whom I give my flies away to. They complained about a warranty and I said there is no warranty on the free stuff :rofl: Never thought a 2457 would break but I'm sure I weakened it by putting all that pressure on it while in the vise.

Charlie S

Confrimed Reprobate
Hmmmm....been tying on my cuda for years and have used Dyna King equipment for years before that, with never a breakage, failure or other problem. You get what you pay for.

riseform

I had the same thing happen to me after I converted to the cam jaws. Thankfully, I was able to get the fractured screw out of the back jaw and replace it with a screw from the original head. I was guilty of cranking down pretty hard on hooks for spinning deer hair. I've lightened up on the tension and the hooks still hold well, but I hope I don't see a second event.

I've tried tying in hand, not ready for that yet. 5 days for one fly aint worth it to me. If I was to get something else I think I would get the original Regal. Simple and bombproof. The Nor-Vise looks cool but there is too much crap going on with that thing for my taste, I hardly use the rotary on my vise as is.

Ed Call

Monkey, you have to admire the sleek elegance of the nor vise though...even if you don't spin it like mad to make your wraps.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
The Nor Vise is sweet! I will have one someday, I just don't need it now. There is a learning curve, but I seen Norm's demo a few times and tied on the Nor Vise a few time. Now the bobbins are sweet, and I use them!

I'm happy with my Regal vise for home and my Dan Vise for flies where I need a full rotary and when I take my vice with me. I really bought the Dan Vise as my travelling vise! I think I'm covered! ;)