Pattern Egg Laying Grannom

Getting ready for the Mother's Day Hatch I toyed with the idea of an egg laying Grannom for those of us who miss the intitial hatch. Came up with this.

Hook: Daiichi 1110
Thread: Black Danville's 70 denier
Egg Sac/Underbody: Kreinik Soi Platte Silk, color number 225, waxed.
Body: Peacock Quill
Thorax: Dark Brown Squirrel SLF mix
Hackle: Medium Dun Hen

Here's the same fly soaked.

Comments are welcome.

riseform

I always admire your ties, nice job. (I also want your new vise!)

What do you think of Don Johnson's idea (Fly Tyer 2002) adding a few strands of clear antron over the back of the fly just before wrapping the hackle to add a little sparkle/trapped air bubbles? I remember his article claimed it improved strikes 7 to 1 in field testing. I think LaFontaine also included antron in his egg laying patterns to trap air bubbles which the insects bring down with them as they deposit their eggs.

Thanks, Riseform. I love the Snowbee-Waldron vise. Best money I've spent in a while. When I got the flies wet, I noticed that, even though they sank quickly, there were small air bubbles trapped in the squirrel/SLF thorax. I have a little of the Clear Antron sold by the BookMailer. I may try that bubble string idea.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Really nice tie Ron. I appreciate seeing the wet/dry photos.

There are a number of good reasons to wax silk. Which ones apply to this pattern?

TC

Tim,

The main reason I waxed the silk in this case was to get the right color for the egg sac when the fly was wet. The egg sac on the Grannom is an emerald green and sort of dull colored. Waxing the silk gave just about the right color. I used a light colored wax one of my tying mates from the UK sent.