Blackmouth

d. rose

Live to fish, fish to live.
Yes, that was on one of the production Shock 'N Awe (thanks Anil!) bugs in chartreuse. This was a hatchery fish pegged at about 40 feet on a 300 grain sinking line. Definitely my biggest for Puget Sound.

D

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
A ~33 inch blackmouth taken from the beach, also on a Shock&Awe (around noon on a stormy day). These are very fun fish on the fly rod. Specifically targeting them is difficult most days, but you will eventually encounter them if you fish the saltwater often enough.

Attachments

Jeff Dodd

D. Rose and Dimebrite: Nice Fish! Puget Power ha-ha I like it!

One thing to add. A local Charter boat fisherman mentioned that with dirty river water dumping into the Puget Sound the blackmouth are more apt. to be found in shallow water.

The Snohomish System is dumping muddy water into Possession Sound right now. Look for it to continue of course on all PS Rivers for 2 days!

Richard E

A ~33 inch blackmouth taken from the beach, also on a Shock&Awe (around noon on a stormy day). These are very fun fish on the fly rod. Specifically targeting them is difficult most days, but you will eventually encounter them if you fish the saltwater often enough.

Hey, I recognize that spot! I'm guessing you caught this late August/early September . . . ?

sean_k

You guys are killing me with the pics. Unbelivable fish I cant wait to be able to post a pic of a blackmouth that I catch. I'll be out all day saturday through the low tide sat night, wish me luck!!!!!

sean_k

You guys are killing me with the pics. Unbelivable fish I cant wait to be able to post a pic of a blackmouth that I catch. I'll be out all day saturday through the low tide that night, wish me luck!!!!!

D.Rose: What type of rod were you lucky (good) enough to use landing that pig? I ask because I've been having fun with smaller blackmouth on my 7 weight and have wondered what would happen if (when) I find a nice 4-5 salt fish.

Yeah, I remember hitting fish like that on gear when I was a kid... beautiful pics... would be amazing to fight a blackmouth like those on a flyrod. Hopefully one day in the salt I'll be blessed with one, and my tippet will hold :)
:beer2: