5127 IS BACK AND MOVING FAST!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Alberts, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Active Member

I attended the hearing yesterday morning, and found it to be a sad commentary on the political system we depend on. IMO, Miranda was at best, average in her presentation while the senators were clearly "on a mission".

The Spoksman link in Freestone's post summarizes the hearing quite well. The question that isn't addressed is why the NW Indian Fisheries Commission has such a strong position in determining the makeup of the State's commission? I don't believe the State plays a role in determining the make up of NWIFC...? And then, why has it taken the Senate four years to begin confirmation proceedings for the commissioners...?

As frustrating and sometimes discouraging as the past few weeks have been, 5127, 1778, and now this hearing, for me, the message that comes through loud and clear is that we all need to be better informed, and take a much stronger position with our elected and appointed officials than we have in the recent past. It is clear that at least many of them see their positions as giving them the right to persue personal positions, vendetas, and paybacks, rather than representing the will of their constituents or acting in the best interest of the resource. CITORI is right, we don't want this to turn into a political "bitch board", but we all need to take a position on political issues and be prepared to defend it.

2. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Funny. I looked on the Olympian site this AM, but thankfully, on WFF, I found the reference to the Spokane paper so I could find out what happened in Olympia. It seems as if Senators Jacobsen and Hargrove have an agenda, and that is to gut the Commission. It is also pretty apparent that they have aligned themselves with the commercial interests (which cannot possibly compare in numbers to recreational users) and the Tribes. We all know that all stocks are down, and we also know what happens when fish and wildlife are not managed based on science (or have we forgotten the past 8 years in DC or that you can't go salmon fishing in California?). Im my own personal opinion, the bottom line appears to be that the commercial interests (and I think this includes the tribes) have overly influenced some politicians the old fashioned way. Perhaps, the only way sportsmen can fight back is to organize a boycott of the commercial interests. If we can coordinate a start date, and all sportsmen get off our duffs and contact all of our family members, friends, neighbors and business associates, we can push back in the only place they care about, their pocketbook. I am willing to carry a sign outside restaurants and markets, are you?

3. Mel King

Mel King Active Member

Dave
    I agree with everything you said. Its been my experience at the hearings I've attended that anyone that doesn't play Jacobsons game is playing against a stacked deck. Yesterday was no surprise but I'm hoping that whats going on in the political world is a cleansing and politicians know it. As sportsman,we have never been in a better position to make changes than right now.It is amazing that one man can have so much control when it obvious what he's doing and everyone knows it and most disagree with him. I have to ask myself"what does he have on these people that they're so afraid of him". Just doesn't make sense.It seems no one wants to rock his boat but I think if politicians realize that he is effecting their political careers they may wake up. The tribes have a lot of influence because they don't go away and they have a lot of money but sportsmen can compete with that if they stay together and that seems to be gaining momentum.We can't get discouraged and give up,which is what has happened in the past.
    We're feeling the pain and I guess thats what it's going to take. Forget the past and look into the future.Keep the pressure on.Just my opinions from what I've seen.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

I testified at the SB 1778 Ways & Means Committee hearing yesterday. As near as I can tell the Committee has not voted on the bill yet, so the members that haven't already made up their minds can potentially be influenced. Go to the legislature website and get the email addresses of the Ways & Means members. There are 21 or 22 of them. I just sent the following email to them all (edited slightly). Use it if it helps you write your own. Whatever you do, don't attack any legislator or call Jacobsen a dirtbag. They hit the delete key whenever they read that, no matter how accurate the comment.

Dear Senator,

I testified yesterday in regards to SB 1778. As all of us who testified indicated, 1778 as originally drafted includes important and desirable elements that most citizens support. It is unfortunate that offending language from failed SB 5127 was added to this otherwise very worthwhile SB 1778 in sec. 71-79. If possible, I and others would applaud the removal of the modifying language from those sections. If not, then regretfully we would rather have the bill fail to pass than have the structure of the Fish and Wildlife Commission altered contrary to the expressed will of the People in Referendum 45 in 1995.

Critics claim that Commissioners are not sufficiently qualified to deal with complex fish and wildlife issues. This is false. With three PhDs and a Juris Doctorate, the Commission is highly and far better qualified than most to manage complex fish and wildlife issues.

Critics claimed that the Commission has disfavored commercial fishing in favor of recreational fishing. Also false. The Commission has reduced both commercial and recreational fishing opportunity specifically because science-driven management indicates increased conservation is necessary. Most of the salmon and steelhead in Washington State are listed under the Endangered Species Act. Of course there is less commercial and recreational fishing as a result. That is unfortunate for people who fish and communities that depend on the economic activity generated from fishing. However, the status of our fish is the natural and logical consequence of a society that has chosen development and degradation of fish habitat and over-fishing instead of conservation. This situation is not the making of the Fish and Wildlife Commission, yet the Commission is left to make the best of the condition.

One critic claimed that the Commission doesn't work well with Tribes. That is a matter of perception. There are 26 treaty Indian tribes in Washington. I work with treaty tribes. Some are easier to work with than others. Of course tribes would prefer to work with one Director and the Governor instead of nine Commissioners. This overlooks that WDFW must work with 26 individual tribes. It appears the tribes prefer a one-way street to a two-way. The Commission represents the will of all citizens of Washington and cannot simply accommodate tribal interests to the exclusion of non-Indian citizen interests.

In summary, the citizens of Washington have repeatedly expressed their desire and intention for a citizen Commission at WDFW. The criticisms of the WDFW Commission are wrong or disingenuous and are intended to satisfy the selfish desires of a few. This would be detrimental to our efforts and obligations to recover threatened and endangered salmon. And passing SB 1778 with the modified language in sec. 71-79, neutralizing the WDFW Commission, would be an affront and a direct attack on the will of the People of Washington State, as expressed by Referendum 45.

5. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Well said, Dave.

6. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Great Job Salmo, Great Job.:thumb:

7. Salmo_g

But have you sent your emails as well? Until the committee votes, it can't hurt to drown 'em with the emails of more voices. Some of these politicians can be very arrogant. They need to hear that the voters who send them to the Legislature are pissed!

Sg

8. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

I have , and I am working my local Senator hard to see if this is a cause he will pick up and carry.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a canned deal before SSB-5127 ever went down to defeat. A lot of these divisive bills will get voted against on the main bill all the while with the understanding that they will get amended into a larger , usually budget, bill and slide on through.

At the very least the Legislators involved here need to be put on notice that their seats will be in play next cycle because of this issue.

There needs to be a major S**T Storm over Jacobsen next cycle. The guy is All Pro.

I sure hope CCA or someone puts together a well funded public information campaign in his district over this whole fiasco.

9. Salmo_g

I hope so too, but Jacobsen is a Democrat in a heavily Democrat district, and most people in his district couldn't care less about fish and wildlife. That let's all his F&W mischief fly under the radar screen of his voters. A very clever dirtbag deal if ever there was one.

Sg

10. herl

herl Member

Here's the list of Senate Ways and Means Committee members: http://www1.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/WM/membersstaff.htm

And their email addresses, ready to copy and paste into your "to" spot..

prentice.margarita@leg.wa.gov; fraser.karen@leg.wa.gov; tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov; zarelli.joseph@leg.wa.gov; brandland.dale@leg.wa.gov; carrell.michael@leg.wa.gov; fairley.darlene@leg.wa.gov; hewitt.mike@leg.wa.gov; hobbs.steve@leg.wa.gov; honeyford.jim@leg.wa.gov; keiser.karen@leg.wa.gov; kline.adam@leg.wa.gov; kohl-welles.jeanne@leg.wa.gov; mcdermott.joe@leg.wa.gov; murray.edward@leg.wa.gov; oemig.eric@leg.wa.gov; parlette.linda@leg.wa.gov; pflug.cheryl@leg.wa.gov; pridemore.craig@leg.wa.gov; regala.debbie@leg.wa.gov; rockefeller.phil@leg.wa.gov; schoesler.mark@leg.wa.gov

If any of these are actually the senator from your district, a seperate email 'as their constituent' would probably carry more weight.

Let them know that the Commission speaks for the general public and the public will support those who support the Commission.

Eric

11. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

What is the prevailing demographic in his district?

His constituents may not care about fish and wildlife but they care about something and that something is what needs to be spoken to. They may be uncomfortable with his disingenuous nature regarding the environment. They may be disappointed to learn of his deceitful disregard for the will of the people irrespective of the issue. They may come to realize that he is spending an awful lot of their/his time on issues they don't care about or that their interests may be the next ones he sells out.

There is a way to beat the guy, I am sure there is good honest democrat who could give a good fight in the primary season.

The important thing is that we don't allow the vigor that risen from this debate to subside and instead store it for the fight to come.

What I find incomprehensible is that true conservationist Democrats in the legislature don't call this guy on the carpet. Where is their intellectual honesty?

12. FT

FT Active Member

I sent an email to Senator Ranker Thursday because he is the Senator from the district I live in, and he never even had the courtesy to acknowledge that he received my email, let alone tell me what his position was. I expected better of him. As much as I hate to say this, it looks like the fix is in on this.

13. Salmo_g

Fyrwood,

The legislature is among the last places I would look for intellectual honesty, or much that is intellectual for that matter. I'm impressed that politicians can be so politically savy yet be so lacking in critical thinking skills, logic, and overall intelligence. It will be interesting indeed to see if this legislative session is the catalyst for greater political activism among anglers and conservationists.

FT,

I've been wondering if the fix wasn't in before the session even began.

Sg

14. gt

gt Active Member

as i have said, over and over again, until legal action is undertaken to get the nets out and institute true selective harvest, nothing is going to change. the fishery will continue to flush down the toilet while everyone is standing around wringing their hands. saving the fish is not based on 'good intentions' it will take legal action to turn the various entrenched commercial lobbies out onto the street.

oh, and for those of you who are going to immediately point to a legal action won by the indians when they were the target of getting the nets out, i suggest you stop and read a couple of the books which were pointed out to me. that legal action was undertaken on the part of the non-indian commercial fishery and was nothing more than a ploy to save more fish for their harvest. we are in a totally different ballgame in this century.

15. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

I sent an email to my Senator, Senator Craig Pridemore, asking that the 5127 language sections be removed or the bill voted against. This is the response I recieved this morning.

"When you've got Joe Zarelli and I both working together on something, Bruce, you can take it to the bank. :)

Craig"

Hopefully, this means there is still the possibility of the language of 5127 being removed from S1778.