5127 IS BACK AND MOVING FAST!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Alberts, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

I talked with his office last week and I had a sense he might take this as a cause.

I think this is exactly what we need, a Senator or 2 who is willing to take the fight to Jacobsen.

I would encourage ALL WFF members to call Sen. Pridemores office and voice their support for he and Zarrelli working this out.

You guys in the Puget Sound area please feel free to support a couple of SW WA senators.:)

2. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Active Member

I just spoke to Sen Mike Carrell, (R) 28th Dist, regarding HB1778. He said that due to the large response he has had from people from his district that he would support our position of, strip the bill of the 5127 language that was appended, or vote to fail the bill. I think that is good news.

But, he does carry an "R" after his name and the "other folks" are in the majority. Again, I would encourage everyone to write your senators, and especially those on the Ways & Means, committee. I think that we also need to make sure that the democratic senators get this message loud and clear.

As has been said earlier, be respectful, but be firm. Lets flood the Oly email system with concerned citizen emails!

3. shawn k

shawn k Active Member

The bill made it out of committee yesterday. They tried to remove the 5127 language but it failed at 8-10 vote. Now it is time to really turn up the heat.

4. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Well the distinguished a-hole from Washington's 23rd District, Senator Rockefeller, has refused to answer my e-mails on the subject. I can only assume he's an enemy in this battle. Especially since he voted for 5127. I asked him to respect the wishes of the people (SSB 5127 failing) and vote this rider out of the bill, but apparently he doesn't think the will of the people is important.
    -Ethan

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Same lack of response from my perspective. Who voted for this guy anyway? Who will continue to vote for him?

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

FYI, Sen's Rockefeller and Zarelli introduced an amendment to HB 1778 yesterday that would have stripped out the SB 5127 language. The amendment was defeated 9-12 in committee.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

So Sen Rockefeller was listening to the public opinion on 5127 and that still got squashed? Thanks for the update Citori. My apologies to the distinguished Senator from the 23rd District.

8. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Yup, same here, my apologies, Mr. Rockefeller. So they were the ones that voted for the amendment? Well, that's good to know that at least they are standing up for the will of the people.
    -Ethan

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Here are the results of the voting yesterday:

SENATE COMMITTEE ON WAYS & MEANS (result of vote on HB 1778 on 4/6/09)

Majority Report: Do pass as amended.
    Signed by Senators Prentice, Chair; Fraser, Vice Chair, Capital Budget Chair; Tom, Vice
    Chair, Operating Budget; Fairley, Kline, Kohl-Welles, McDermott, Murray, Oemig,
    Pridemore, Regala and Rockefeller.

Minority Report: Do not pass.
    Signed by Senators Zarelli, Ranking Minority Member; Brandland, Honeyford and
    Parlette.

10. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

I just got off the phone with Sen. Pridemores office, I had understood previously that he was working against the sections regarding SSB-5127 and was disappointed with his committee vote.

He in FACT worked to weaken the language pertaining to SSB-5127 however upon losing that battle he voted the measure out of committee to the floor where his office has stated firmly that he intends to vote AGAINST the bill as currently configured. He oppoed SSB-5127 and will vote against 1778 on the floor unless amended.

His office clearly understands the pressure upon Jacobsen and others from the commercial fishing lobby and seems displeased with the hijynx on HB-1778.

We can win here guys but we MUST keep the pressure on. This thing could get voted on with 30 minutes notice.

11. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Much thanks to you guys for keeping us updated. It really helps to know what's going on and where to apply pressure.
    I'm guessing now we have to hammer our Senators before this comes up for a full Senate vote.

12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

YES, YES, YES!!!

Our SW WA senators are on board, save one. With all respect I implore you folks in the Puget Sound region to please call and write vigorously as that is where this battle will be won or lost.

13. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

My Senator, Randi Becker was opposed to dismantling the Commission when the original attempt was made. She has not responded yet regarding my last email about the add-ons to the new bill. I'll give a call just to check.