what fly for salt?

S

stewart dee

Sweet, I will be out there on the salt after Feb 15th. I think this type of fishing could get addictive. I only have two handed rods, I think a 13' 7wt could be the hot ticket.

Just find something you like and fish it with confidence. Every successful angler has a different favorite, and they're all right. They catch fish because they put in the water with a consistent presentation.

Are the poppers difficult to tie? I have never tried to tie with the popper head and am somewhat clueless as to attaching it. I have the recipe in Les' book I believe.

kelvin

I continue to devote a lot of my time to my "Popsicle Stick". Size 6 for sea run cutthroat, Size 4 for coho. It ain't fancy, but I'm still working on that. I have had tremendous success with this fly. I fish it relatively slow to moderate speed for cutthroat, and fast for coho.

The tie is:

Tail: Dirty white Arctic Fox Tail
Body: Hot Florescent Pink Ultra Thread (1/3rd to 1/2 of front portion for the hook)
Lower Wing: Florescent Pink or Red Angel Hair or Fibers (provides the flash)
2nd Lower Wing: Poly Marabou Florescent Pink
3rd Lower Wing: Sparse Hot Pink or Medium Pink Calf Tail
Top Wing: Chartruese Calf Tail

Larry thanks for the recipe
I am gonna tie up some FLATWING popsicle sticks
mint and creamsicle
PM me your address I will send you a couple to try out

My plan is to just walk the train tracks along beach-front and scope for fishy water.
Stewart.
Just a heads up to a fellow angler (although i'm sure you know about this already)..
BNSF patrols all of their land on a regular basis and will not hesistate to ticket you for walking along the tracks, so I would hate to see your morning / afternoon spoiled for doing something (searching along the water) we all do...
Other than that good luck and let us know how you do! :thumb:

Richard

kelvin

I continue to devote a lot of my time to my "Popsicle Stick". Size 6 for sea run cutthroat, Size 4 for coho. It ain't fancy, but I'm still working on that. I have had tremendous success with this fly. I fish it relatively slow to moderate speed for cutthroat, and fast for coho.

Larry

I think they look Pretty good as Flatwings
I tied one up in polar bear and epoxied it with eyes per our discussion and think it looks pretty good too

I send you the flatwing version
let me know how you do with it

I think a "cream sicle " in orange and white would fish well to especailly in March

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"

Larry

I think they look Pretty good as Flatwings
I tied one up in polar bear and epoxied it with eyes per our discussion and think it looks pretty good too

Oh yeah baby! Those look good! I can guarantee success. Sweet. I just got back from dipping a line for a couple of hours. The tide wasn't what I like. I hooked up with a nice cutt of around 15-16" and it came unbuttoned after almost getting it to the net. Nothing else. Those are nice ties.

I send you the flatwing version
let me know how you do with it

I think a "cream sicle " in orange and white would fish well to especailly in March

Those are sweet kelvin! I will guarantee success. Very nice. I just got back from dipping a line for 2 hours, hooked up right away with a Popsicle Stick, lost a nice 15-16" just before netting it. Tide wasn't good for me. Nothing else hooked.