?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Gary Thompson, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

My son got me a TFO Prism 9/11 reel for my birthday and I have found a 14'9" 2 hand TFO Scandinavian rod on sale. Good match up?
    Now to line it.
    Can I line the reel with, lets say 20# mono for backing then att. shooting head etc. for casting?
    I would like to use the rod and reel for deep trolling in the local lakes, using the mono.
    I have never spey cast before, so the learning curve is huge right now.
    Thanks for the help in advance

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Gary,

I'm not familiar with either the rod or the reel, but using mono for backing is always a bad idea. It stretches and when wound on a fly reel under tension has been known to distort or warp the spool side plates and worse. Use dacron or other non-stretch line for backing.

Sg

3. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
  4. bconrad

bconrad Active Member

You might be able to use GSP or another one of the braided lines that are out there...They don't stretch and have a small diameter so you could use it for trolling...Seems like that rod would be major overkill for trout though.

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Thanks, I'll use 30# dacron for backing.
    Yes, that rod is over kill for trout.
    I was thinking more in the salmon size stuff.
    I'm kinda a tight wad so anything over 2 bills is pushing it for me.
    I'll keep shopping.
    thanks again guys

6. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Check with Poppy at the Shed he sometimes will take in a nice trade at 2 bills. He cut loose a very nice Sage a couple weeks ago for that amount of fun tickets. Just an idea..

7. attack

attack Active Member

my buddy is looking to unload a 14' 9wt tfo pro in good condition for $150 you can pm me if interested.
    -zack

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

If you're going deep trolling for salmon in freshwater, skip the 14' scandi rod Gary. The reel might double as a mooching reel on a conventional rod...and the rod might make a good trolling outrigger HHA

No need to jump in anyway; if you're thinking about DHing, a scandi thunderstick may not be the place to start. Why not take your time, ask local guys on your local waters what they use, and get the rod based on that. That reel weighs less than 9 oz even though it's a good size reel; this means it would balance a shorter spey rod or even a heavy switch very nicely.

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

"I would like to use the rod and reel for deep trolling in the local lakes, using the mono." If I'm understanding you correctly the rod your contimplating would be totally inappropriate for that type of usage. Save you need something that will hold quite a chunk of lead without bending double. A fish much under 3# would hardly wiggle the rod tip. The rod you've described above is a full on winter weight steelhead river rod.

fae

10. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Now I know why I was asking.
    You guys are very helpful.
    SpeySpaz, local guys?
    You all now this forum are my local guys.
    So, what to do with this 9/11 reel?
    I still think I would like to get a two hand rod (give me an inch, I'd be the king)
    I have two single 10' 7wt rods and I can cast them plenty far, but from what I've seen of a spey cast, there is a huge difference.
    So I don't want to just start out with a 12'er then move up to a 14'er.
    Would a 12' rod be plenty for a life time?
    Should I stay with a 9 wt?
    I can't think of needing anything heavier than a 9wt for NW salmon or steelhead.
    more input!!!

11. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

well, a good rule of thumb is that it's hard to go wrong with a 13' or 13'6" 7/8 wt rod in this part of the country, will do almost anything you need a DH rod for. Inexpensive options include Dechos, Echo TR, TFO Deer Creek, TFO Pro, and of course used fishpoles off fleabay, classifieds, or demo rods from shops. That reel would hang nicely on any of the above in 7/8. Plus others I've surely forgotten to list.
    ...another rule of thumb is to start out with a 13'ish rod, which has enough length to get you used to the mechanics of DH casting without being too intimidating or hard to manage. Shorter rods can be demanding of your timing for DH casting and a pain in the ass for some guys to learn on. YMMV of course.

remember, even a 6/7 DH rod is more powerful than many 9wt SH rods, and a 14' 9 wt scandi rod is a true thunderstick...would probably throw a 6-700 grain head and fight 30# salmon with ease.