6 Million Pinks to the Puget Sound this summer.....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KEM, Jun 8, 2011.

1. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Oe is too classy. Look around for the Big Bear(used to be .79 cents when OE was $1.10!):
    [​IMG]

The blog is all Yards creation...and yes it does kick ass.

I'm not sure if you've got your child on the fly rod or not but I'll have my daughter tossing the tiny pink UV dick nites into the drink on a spin rod this next go around. She can cast a fly rod, but I don't think she's up to fighting fish that can actually make runs (shes only 8 and I don't want her getting her fingers/hands bruised and end up not liking fishing)

Our goal is a bit the same, get the kid outside, on some fish, and hopefully grill one of em' on the beach right there for some kick ass hunter-gatherer action.

2. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

funny that people watching at dashpoint pier was mentioned, because it is simply amazing. the run before last, we trolled by the pier after hearing the creel numbers of the dockers, and man oh man, there was never less than 4-6 fish suspended in the air being pulled up. went to the dock the next day, brought a bomber rod of course just in case, simply amazing at the number of fish swimming by, their aggressive attitude, but more amazing was the crowd, fights, yelling , interrupted by shouts of: HEAR THEY COME! every 5 minutes. even got treated to a heated yelling match between two retired white dudes, in their hawaiian shirts, and a couple 20 something black dudes, it turned totally quintin tarrentino (spelling?) with racial bantering, going both ways lots of N bombs, death threats, cracker bombs and weapons displayed. the old guy had a sling shot for the seals, the other guys claimed they had something else. went on for about a half hour between those to groups. everybody was actually laughing, ya just have to be there to believe it all, all classes, ages and races are represented believe me. despite it all, most everybody helped eachother. the netting of fish was fun to watch to, ya had the tangled lines, maybe two fish being netted together, the seal that would dart in and snatch the fish. it is what it is, just gotta sit back and enjoy the sight.

3. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Lots of people fish for trout and would never eat them if they were starving......if you like to 'catch' fish, pinks are great fun ...just put them back or give them to some kids on the beach or your neighnbors. You would be surprised on the warm reception you get when giving a fresh[cleaned] salmon to someone that doesn't fish or isn't a highbrowed 'conniseur' as so many of you purport to be. I can't beleve the shit I'm hearing: no place to fish, no fish or too long a drive and now we are ready for a decent fishery and you pukes are crying that they don't like to eat crummy pink salmon!! Too bad for you cry babies....there will just be more room on the beaches and less congestion at the boat launches!

4. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

what he said, yeah......

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I have every intention of filling the smoker several times over this season... And am going to love every goddamn minute of it.

6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Well it looks like I better start looking for my box of wells spoons out in the garage because it's comeing on humpies in the skagit season.

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I'm trying to understand
    why the stinky-pinky thing
    is better than sliced bread.

Is it the delicious tast when cooked?
    Is it the mobs of knuckle draggers roaming the beach?
    Is it easy to catch fish?

Why?

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Because it is the only reliable run of fish that is left on most of the rivers, That you can legaly fish for.

9. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    no you're not. cause it's not that complicated and nobody is that stupid.

10. CurtisS

CurtisS Member

Most of which rivers?

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Someone needs a nap.......................

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Fishing at the Dash Pt pier is a social experience. You have to get to know all of the rednecks who converge on the dock during the pink runs. If you can't fit in somehow, you either go to the beach or find another place to fish. There are hundreds of places to fish for pinks in the Sound. You just have to study the run and the terrain. Having a boat helps but is not essential. Just about any fly will work and most people have the equipment to fish for them already. I've even used my pontoon boat but I don't recommend it regularly because of the sea lion population. It's too spooky to be sitting there quietly and have some 800 pound bruiser surface three feet away.

13. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Great answer!

I didn't know that some people liked
    combat fishing for mushy fish.

Dave

14. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Humpies taste fine and won't be mushy if you take care of them properly and use heavy gear. Catch - Bleed - Clean - Put on Ice immediatly.

Knuckle draggers are great. I don't see the problem there. Nothing more entertaining that watching 2 grown men shoot 3 dozen consecutive f-bombs through their missing front teeth at each other over a fish or tangled line. I'm still on the wagon on my not fishing WA tour, but I may just bring a video camera to a beach in hopes of finding the next youtube sensation.

It may be easy to catch fish. Don't plan on it lasting much longer tho man. The tribes and coms will start netting them like mad soon enough. People used to talk like this about coho.

15. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Cause' 20+ salmon days rool the skool (in my book.) I like catchin' fish dude, plain and simple.

As I've stated before, handling of a fresh and firm pink is a testament to one's ability in the kitchen.

I won't be seeing those lads where I fish, so no worries for either of us (cause' we all know they hate daily shower taking, sissy FFers too right?)

Yes again
    oh, besides it being fun to catch fish, I suppose it beats mowing the grass or garage salein' with the in laws.