Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thread only for those planning to attend the Hoh Down in 4.5 months

8K views 136 replies 36 participants last post by  Ralphie 
#1 ·
4.5 months seems like a long time away... But not when it comes to brewing up tasty grain based beverages.

For this year's Hoh Down, I'm planning to brew up at least a couple 5gal kegs of brew to put on tap. Given that some styles take longer than others to produce properly, I wanted to start planning now.

I'm opening up to suggestions for what most would want on tap. Don't even think about suggesting cloning (insert brand here) light. Not only would that not be worth my time, but you can buy that crap cheaper than I could make it.

For those who want to partake in the fruits of my labor (and the labor of Matt Smith, whom I'm sure will lend his craftiness to this cause as well), any donations to the cause would be much appreciated. Normally I would just do it for free, but since I'm an unemployed full time student, funds is limited. 5gal of your average beer will take about $40 or so to make. So a couple bucks from each person at camp who wants to partake would be hugely appreciated.

What would you guys like to see on tap? I have no limits to what I can make. I've literally done it all.

See less See more
#51 ·
I'm glad I brought that shit.

How about a Fudge Dragon Porter. I'll happily contribute $ to get more home brewed kegs there next time.
I like. Chocolate porter/stout called "The Fudge Dragon".

I'm new to the forum and not familiar with the Hoh Down, but if includes beer, food and fishing..... not necessarily in that order - I'm in and will be happy to contribute. An amber or lager would be good.

Steve
You won't regret attending.

Sean...let me interpret what HikePat just said..."I pounded the home made Kahlua made with Everclear, and pounded it, and pounded it. I did not pass out, puke or get photographed with the mysterious dragon head".
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

#15 ·
I could do a Vienna Lager, which is what those mass produced Mexican swill beers like Dos Equis Amber and Negra Modelo are trying to be.

So far there's overwhelming support for something big, dark, and roasty like an imperial stout. I fully support this idea myself. If that one's decided, I'll begin work on it soon so that it can have a few months to age. Possibly even do some bourbon+oak aging on it if people are in to that kind of thing.

#19 ·
The Imperial stout rocked. A scotch ale would be fine. You know the stuff I've liked that you brew. Flashlight fail test = good beer. If a flashlight can't shine through it is good beer to drink.

#21 ·
Sean, 45 minutes after arrival you were puking and passed out. Wow! An hour after that you were seemingly recovered and pounding it again...up early and on the water touching one of the few fish of the week. Nice work, good to be young.

Now would be a good time for those that are not sure what the Hoh Down is all about to type Hoh Down in the search box!

#23 ·
Sean, 45 minutes after arrival you were puking and passed out. Wow! An hour after that you were seemingly recovered and pounding it again...up early and on the water touching one of the few fish of the week. Nice work, good to be young.
moral of the story is you just don't give the drunk guy everclear cleverly disguised as kahlua. i believe i cracked my first beer on the ferry over. had my 5th and 6th at Brazda's house. and after arrival at the oxbow i was on slippery slope, beer, whiskey and... stuff. I blame Davey! everynight was a rough night. i seem to have fuzzy recollection of me, ryan and Jerry sittin in our waders around the fire at 4am!

#25 ·
I love me a good belgian! But I'm not entirely sure that a belgian would be the way to go for having around the campfire while noshing on bacon wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers. A belgian dark strong would be more appropriate than a tripel. But as far as the strong beers, I think the stout will be the ticket.

#27 ·
You lost me at the malt liquor. I can hear Fred Sanford shouting at Lamont to bring him some ripple...clutching his heart and looking to the heavens telling Elizabeth he was coming.

#33 ·
Mexican Beer, Fruit Beer, Coffee Beer?

The hell.

Evan - just craft up some good dark, thick, n frothy low carbonation beer that we can man up on. I agree with Mumbles - if you can shine a flashlight through it, then you might as well buy it at a store. That's just my opinion.

#34 ·
Mexican Beer, Fruit Beer, Coffee Beer?

The hell.

Evan - just craft up some good dark, thick, n frothy low carbonation beer that we can man up on. I agree with Mumbles - if you can shine a flashlight through it, then you might as well buy it at a store. That's just my opinion.
Two of many of your highly admirable qualities. Agreeing with me and drinking good beer, well played.

#43 ·
I don't even think he's a member. It's been so long since I had Jim Beam that I can't remember it or why I drank it. Must have been cheap stuff or we wouldn't have bought it back then. Jim, How do you practice those things you can do at the same time. I can't do half of them and I've only got two years to practice untill I'm that old. I amHopping to make the Hoh down this year but as little as I drink, There's no need to plan for me. I only overconsume it on the coffee. or the sweets at times. I could probably get to feeling pretty good just on what fumes are left in someones glass the next morning. And maybe just as sick. Not supposed to drink with my medications anyway. I'll just have to over eat or have a sugar high and try to keep all of you gentlemen awake. yeah sure never happen.

#45 ·
Kerry I'll drink Root Beer with you. We can see what the others go through. and dump cold river water on those who need to recover,. Or just go catch fish while they struggle to come to.

#47 ·
I sadly missed last years Hoh Down, but it was because my little guy was born that week. I will NOT miss this years! I mourned that weekend thinking about Jerry's food and good times.

As for beer, I have not heard any votes for an IPA. That would be my vote. I like em nice and hoppy, my favorite being 'hop stoopid' with 102 IBU's. But my second favorite is a nice dark, strong stout, preferably an imperial, and a barley wine is even better!! I will certainly be throwing some cash your way for brew, no problem.

The only problem is not I'm thinking about the Hoh Down, and have to wait four and half frickin months. Thanks! ptyd

#50 ·
Sean...let me interpret what HikePat just said..."I pounded the home made Kahlua made with Everclear, and pounded it, and pounded it. I did not pass out, puke or get photographed with the mysterious dragon head".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.