Winter Bass

Smalma

Bill -
As predators I have found that bass (especially the larger fish) seem to become active as the front edge of storm moves into the area; even more so if there has been several days of nice weather. The cloud cover, wind chop, and falling rain all seem to produce conditions that favor those predators. While this is equally true regardless of the season it seemed to me that in the cool water temperatures of late winter/early spring the bass have no reason to be feeding all the time. As a result most of the adult population will have empty or nearly empty stomachs and thus ready for the feeding opportunity that storm front produces. The result is aggressive fish looking for a meal.

While those conditions make for tough fising conditions and there usually there are not many anglers on the water in those conditions if the angler toughs it out they will likely be reward. Over the years if I can find a front moving in with the spring water temperature above 42 degree for smallmouth and the upper 40s for largemouth I expect to catch fish. A large majority of the exceptional bass I have caught over the years came in those conditions.

Tight lines
Curt

Bill -
As predators I have found that bass (especially the larger fish) seem to become active as the front edge of storm moves into the area; even more so if there has been several days of nice weather. The cloud cover, wind chop, and falling rain all seem to produce conditions that favor those predators. While this is equally true regardless of the season it seemed to me that in the cool water temperatures of late winter/early spring the bass have no reason to be feeding all the time. As a result most of the adult population will have empty or nearly empty stomachs and thus ready for the feeding opportunity that storm front produces. The result is aggressive fish looking for a meal.

While those conditions make for tough fising conditions and there usually there are not many anglers on the water in those conditions if the angler toughs it out they will likely be reward. Over the years if I can find a front moving in with the spring water temperature above 42 degree for smallmouth and the upper 40s for largemouth I expect to catch fish. A large majority of the exceptional bass I have caught over the years came in those conditions.

Tight lines
Curt
I use to fish bass alot and found this to be true. Extended high pressure with a falling barometer always seemed to produce fish! Pre-spawn seemed to produce the biggest fish