Natural Cork Popper Bodies

A month or so back I bought a bunch of natural cork poppers and have been tying them up and having a blast. By the way, these were preshaped and are beautiful! Here are some pictures of the bodies and some finished ones as well. Jaiyman

Nice flies man.

I've been carving/painting popper bodies using balsa wood. Got the tip from a friend and haven't looked back since. It's nice n' light, and lasts forever!

**Bump Bump**
I just wanted to let you guys to know that I still have plenty of these left for you guys that haven't gotten in touch with me. I appreciate those of you that have bought some from me. Jaiyman

Wow, now i know what to do with almost 300 natural and synthetic wine bottle corks!!

Lets see, i need a Dremel, a vacuum/dust box, ummm was that just a regular spearpoint knife? safety goggles, a machinists or woodworkers apron, ...damn these things is gettin expensive... :-o

P.Dieter

Just Another Bubba
shit your average tinkerer has laying around....now when I go buy that copic airbrush I will be guilty of over indulging my fascination with poppers.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Thank you, PD, for sharing your video link. That is a cool way of shaping the corks. I can see that the whole process: shaping the popper head, epoxying the head to a hook, tying in the tail and rubber legs, and painting the body is time intensive, but no more (or much more) than tying an elaborate steelhead fly, like a Intruder or full-dress Atlantic pattern.

Steve

P.Dieter

Just Another Bubba
I often need flies that take extra time. My boxes are bursting at the seams right now, I don't need to tie dozens of anything. So playing around with building poppers gives me a happy project.

Paul, your video is cool. I'm thinking I may have to do that. What kind of paint do you use on the cork? I bought some popper bodies in the past and painting and tying those things up sure takes a long time, not something you do the night before a trip.

Wayne

P.Dieter

Just Another Bubba
Wayne,
I just use acrylic craft paint. Some use the model paint (testors?) some use airbrush.

here's a link to a keynote presentation (pwr point) I made for a class I recently taught. I think that maybe even without my narration it might be helpful. It's a very large file so takes a couple min to load or download, then although a video file it will play like a pwr pnt....you need to click it to advance each slide.
http://gallery.me.com/riverwader#100383/PoppersPP&bgcolor=black