why would you poke

Isnt the Perry poke the same thing as the contrived loop and isnt it verboten in some spey casting competitions? I like the cast but to be honest, and you'll love this Leroy, I learned to do it because Ed Ward is so high on it. Why would I poke? To get better at it. Same reaone Ive done nothing but single spey (or try to single spey) this month.

TrevorH

There are local high banks where I likely single 4:1 over the poke during winter, reserving it for high angle changes out of especially sticky water. There is a line that marks the occasion that the poke will outperform the single.

Leroy Laviolet

Aint no nookie like chinookie
Isnt the Perry poke the same thing as the contrived loop and isnt it verboten in some spey casting competitions? I like the cast but to be honest, and you'll love this Leroy, I learned to do it because Ed Ward is so high on it. Why would I poke? To get better at it. Same reaone Ive done nothing but single spey (or try to single spey) this month.
It's all good Wade !:rofl::thumb:

I too don't get the Perry Poke as a cast...but as a recovery move it works well and no need to practice it, as it's pretty brainless; as mentioned before some have come acrossed it by accident. For change of direction there are a lot of better suited true casts or sets of casts. For tight high banks or heavy brush, fish at a steepr angle with the single spey or short line a roll cast, set your anchor farther out...Like Dec said, it's time to get creative and make stuff up...just get it out there. Wow, did I just talk myself into a reason to Poke? Okay, poke it if you have too...but only if you have too!

John Hicks

Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits
I use the poke a bit. My fav cast is a single spey poke. I use it a lot when I fish. Both for stealth and for casting very large flies.

Leroy Laviolet

I use the poke a bit. My fav cast is a single spey poke. I use it a lot when I fish. Both for stealth and for casting very large flies.
This will be the second time iv'e heard stealth mentioned . for me, I can't see how twice the needed surface comotion on a second move is anything but not stealthy ... Like I said, I'm not a user, so A little clarification anyone, porfavor !:)

For close quarters combat on a low clear flow like the nf stilly for example, the poke is a quieter stealthier approach to presenting sink tips with skagit lines. For me anyways. I don't really understand your questions Holmes? Your river has giant gravel bars, you fish long heads and long rods. Why would YOU poke? That's the good question. Around here it gets the job done in situations where other casts fail. Come west and ill show you why skagit compacts and silly Perry pokes are household names.

Leroy Laviolet

For close quarters combat on a low clear flow like the nf stilly for example, the poke is a quieter stealthier approach to presenting sink tips with skagit lines. For me anyways. I don't really understand your questions Holmes? Your river has giant gravel bars, you fish long heads and long rods. Why would YOU poke? That's the good question. Around here it gets the job done in situations where other casts fail. Come west and ill show you why skagit compacts and silly Perry pokes are household names.
Sean, that makes some sense- Might just take ya up on that one day!

To those who are certain there are no trees , willows, high banks , or back cast obstructions to deal with in the "Far east" , maybe ya aughtta fish it and see about that for sure :thumb:...
Yup, noth'n but wide open gravel bars out here ...:rofl:

TrevorH

If you are single speying down a run and find a section of water where you need to first roll cast your tip & fly to the surface, you might as well poke.

James Mello

Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
It is, once again showing that you aren't goingt hit your anchor properly every time.

Klickrolf

Ok Mr. Laviolet, he didn't need to poke as he wasn't trying to throw some impressive long cast...but he did poke...and he wasted even more energy roll casting to bring the fly up before doing the poke, ask him why. Maybe he's lazy like me, aren't you?