6wt or 7wt for the sound beaches?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ricklea1953, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Going to buy my first rod and reel combination in the next couple of days. A 6wt combination has been recommended by the shop. Some of the articles I have read recommended a 7wt 9' rod.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I will be trying to learn the central and south sound beaches. Silvers are my preferred catch and possibly some catch and release cutthroat. On the other hand, I might want to do a little lake fishing although I don't eat trout or any other freshwater fish.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Blake Stiller

Blake Stiller Member

For what its worth, i just bought a st croix legend series 8wt 9' and i pretty much use it now for everything. Its heavy enough for big salmon, but i find it very nice for lake fishing as well because i can haul in medium sized trout fairly quickly and get them released with minimal tiring. Plus i can cover a good amount of water with it, making it a perfect beach rod.

3. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

A 6wt is a great sound rod as well as a 7wt. I have a 5/6wt and I use it for a SRC and res coho rod and I was able to land a few bigger mature silvers this year on it without any problems. Though I want to buy a 6/7wt just to have a little more backbone for the coho.

-Jake

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

7 wieght based on your mentioned targets. The seven will also help you fight that wind a little better.

5. salt dog

salt dog card shark

IMO, a fast action 6 wt rod will be your most versatile rod for the beach, and for throwing streamers or nymphing in fresh water; I prefer a 9'6" length; overload the rod with a 7 wt line for windy days.

A 10' 7 wt. rod. would be better suited for Fall Silvers, Pinks, Summer Run Stealhead, etc.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I use a older 5 wt. SAGE RPL for saltwater cutthroat. It's been perfect for me. Can cast it a mile which is nice for saltwater fishing. It has plenty of backbone and I use a weight-forward dry line on it. I also caught some coho on it with no problems in the Sound. (You might even check on a used one, although there are plenty of good rods out there nowadays.) If you're going for strictly salmon, then you would probably want to head for the 8 weight or so category.

7. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Thanks to all who have responded. I appreciate all the help for a beginner. I bought a Redington 6wt 9" red fly 2 combo kit today (my first ever fly rod). It just seemed to fit what I was trying to do.

Thanks again,
    Rick

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Good choice on the 6.
    Good luck,
    Brian

9. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Thanks Brian,

I am anxious to get started. I need a basic class (never casted a fly rod), some waders and a couple of flies. Hope to have it all together after Christmas.

Rick

10. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    For silvers and cutts I prefer a 6wt fast action like the TFO TicrX. Light enough for those delicate sea runs, and stiff enough to push those weighted clousers in tough wind conditions for those freight-train Silvers.

I over lined my 6 to a 7 and it bombs.

Now if I were targeting Silvers in the rivers definately a 7wt or higher. You need the backbone to muscle them through the current,trees,logs,etc. Using a 6wt in the salt, you virtually have no obstructions, and have all the fighting room possible, just have enough backing!

I think "Yellowlab" has a 6wt 4pc 9' Ticrx for sale in the classifieds. I'm sure he would give you a deal, check it out.
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=44331

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

A little late ...uh? :clown:

12. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Good choice on the six. Redington makes a nice rod. Seven weight is too much for cutts. I fish my five weight exclusively for SRCs, but I do have a six weight I use for salmon in the salt/summer steelhead/bulls. You'll be fine with that rod for cutts, resident silvers and blackmouth (which should start heating up soon).

Have fun fishin the salt, its a blast. :thumb:

13. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Thanks Peter,

I bought the 6wt redington outfit. I know it is not the elite thousand dollar equipment but that is okay. I am just getting started and I went on the recommendation of a shop that gave me good customer service.

I have had a few local shops that wouldn't even respond to my e-mails.
    Nathan Keen and the Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park have been most helpful. I live closer to the south and central sound but don't mind spending the time on the road with a shop that offers advice and good customer service.

Rick

14. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    I was a little late wasn't I, DOH!
    Never the less, have an awesome time and remember to rinse you gear to the bone after fishing the salt.

I rinsed out my Mid Arbor Battenkill as normal, soaking in water for a day, rinsing in warm water 4 times and drying time, and it still rusted, arrrggh. First time in a long time for my reel to rust.

15. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

good choice on the 6wt. and good luck.