Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Steel Swap

Swap 
8K views 99 replies 18 participants last post by  LBC 
#1 ·
I know you might be thinking "really dude? Ain't even October and this guy is thinkin about winter???"

Well winter will come quick and I want some new ideas for my winter box before go time. So I wanna open up a winter swing bug swap for those interested in submitting a QUALITY, hopefully proven creation. I would like to emphasize Quality. Take some time, pick out the prime feathers. Use some head cement. Tie it like you would fish it. I would also like to stay away from standard issue shop bugs. I would like to see some original stuff. Or a twist on a classic. Swap will be closed at 10 people, I wanna receive the bugs by Dec 1.

Personally I will be tying an original dubbed "Beyonce." It's a unique twist on Scotty Howell's prom dress and has done well.

1) me
2) Yard
3) Ringlee
4) LBC
5) Blake
6) Mills
7) Matt G.
8) Thomas M.
9) Eric
10) 33" Brown Guy
11) Diehard

Swap full!

See less See more
#28 ·
Alright I just tied up 3 before i settled on my combo for the swap. Blue and purple tube it is. And its nasty. Eric I would gladly add you but now I've got several guys messaging me trying to get in as well and I gotta close doors before it gets outta hand. I'm sorry buddy don't take it personal. We should swap a few flies when we hit the sky this winter I wanna see that scandi tube! Sorry to the others that want in, lots of interest on this swap. Thanks guys!

#30 ·
Here's my prototype for this swap. It's a variant on the classic Glasso pattern Sol Duc Dark with different colors and some modern materials.

AJ Spey #3
Gudebrod 6/0 red
Dark purple floss body
Pearl mylar over the floss
Lagurtun silver oval tinsel
Claret seal fur dubbed in the split purple floss
Claret/purple coque hackle
Fushia and pale blue hen hackle doubled up
Golden Pheasant dyed purple for the tented wings

#32 ·
Anybody know of a good source for a saddle or neck that all the hair dressers haven't gotten to yet? This meaning a reasonable rate.... I just got on my fav auction site where 6 months ago I got a bomber saddle of preemo hackles for 25$ now you can't touch a saddle on that same site for less than 300$ some up to 800$. rediculous. If not Im gonna have to substitute ostrich herl... no big deal, I tied a few and gave em a swim in the tub.. .I think they look equally as good in the water just not as good in hand.

#39 ·
Got the first batch of flies in the mail, thanks LBC they look great! Lovin the white saddles. I got inspired to tie up some white rhea creatures of my own, can't wait to see what everyone else submits. Few more weeks gentlemen. PM me for my address.

#42 ·

Done. PM me your address. I put my best foot forward and tied one of the only flies that has been successful for me. I am pretty jaded after some of the swaps I've been in when I spent a lot of time and energy and got back a bunch of flies that went straight into the vise so I could salvage the hook and tie something decent on it. This one struck me as a swap that people might actually put some time into.

#43 ·
Mine are done and will be in the mail this week. It looked like there were a lot of people tying big heavy flies so I decided to do the opposite. My pattern is a 'winterized' version of Shewey's Spawning Purple intended for the Columbia tribs or low and clear conditions on the coastal rivers - any time you want something smaller but with plenty of movement and visual pop.

What happens is the wing rides up leaving the Jungle Cock to show very clearly. The wing construction also keeps the fly swimming true. It's a confidence pattern for me but a bit tedious to tie...

Hook - AJ Spey #3
Tip - fine red wire
Body - pink floss over silver tinsel (keeps the floss bright when wet)
Wing (back to front):
1 - cerise marabou
2 - angel hair flash
3 - purple marabou
4 - purple or blue rhea
5 - purple marabou
6 - angel hair flash
7 - purple marabou
8 - cerise rhea
9 - purple marabou
Collar - pink mallard flank
Cheeks - Jungle Cock
Collar - blue rooster breast

#46 ·
Nice looking ties guys! I'm almost done as well and will have them in the mail in plenty of time. I don't really have a decent camera to take pictures, but maybe I'll take one with my phone and see what happens...OK, here it is. The pic sucks, but hopefully you can tell it's black and pea-cocky. It has some nice flash in the water and the fish like it too...

#50 ·
Minor dilemma fellas. When I tie for myself I make some of these unweighted, some with a bead head and some with large lead eyes and an finish it with angel hair in a dubbing loop. All 3 have their time and place. Should I leave this one unweighted? I kinda like them that way cause you can swing em all the way into the rocks in type 3 water and then you can add a 1/16th oz worm weight (basically same as large lead eyes) and dredge a bit. And I know some prefer fishing unweighted. I guess since I'm mailing them I could possibly make to order even.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.