7110 and Scandi compact Help

longstick

I have found the 2 lines for my 5110 axis, a rio skagit 300 and airflo's scandi compact 300 grn. I have a 7110 axis also and this weekend I got a rio skagit 450 and cut it back to 24' which makes it a 400 gr. It flies! Now I am trying to see if anyone has any comments on scandi lines for it. I have casted a 6/7 AFS on the rod and works great but I am looking at the Airflo lines and can't decide on the 390 or 420grn. Can anyone that has either help me out. Thanks.

In general, I believe that a Scandi line should be a little lighter than the Skagit line wt that works for you. This just seems logical to me based on the difference in the two casting methods.

Red Shed

"junkyard spey"
My choices would be the Airflo Compact scandi in 360 or 390. If you liked the 6/7 AFS then the 390 would most likely fit your casting style the closest.

longstick

Thanks guys. So heres a dumb question... If I like the compact scandi 300grn on a 5110and I get a 390grn for the 7110 where would the 6110 fall in? I was thinking the 420 grn for the 7110 and that would put the 6110 in at 360grn. To me and I am dumb, but if I get the 390 for the 7, the 6 is only 30 grn away from either the 5 or 7. Meaning the only choice of line are a 330 or 360. It like we would need a 345 grn compact scandi for the 6 wt. This spey stuff is confusing shit.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Everyone has personal preferences and over time you learn whether your tastes run heavy, light, or about right on with popular opinion/reccommendations.

The longer the head/line the more grains it can soak up without altering the 'feel' of rod load. The 400gr AFS 6/7 specs 37' with the Airflo compact 390gr @ 31' and the 360 is 30'. If it was me I wouldn't go over the 390gr and would like a try with the 360gr first if possible.. But that's me not you.

The size/weight of flies and water I'd be on could play a role too.

Don't overlook Beulah's Elixir.. Great fishing lines.

Ian Broadie

Flyfishing is so "Metal"
360 compact scandi is just fine for a 6110, I have the TFO Deer Creek 6110 and I love the 360 compact scandi on it. Not only can I spey cast it but 360 grains is light enough that I can 2 handed over hand it for fishing Puget Sound beaches.

Banzai

FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs
I haven't had the opportunity to test out the new compact heads yet, but, I do have the SA 38' 390gr Scandi ST-6F w/10' Trout type 6 polyleader and it fairly rocks on my Scott ARC 1196, it also functions quite nicely on my Cortland 12' 6" Spey. The ST-7F 40' 440gr w/same polyleader, flies like a jet on the (older model)11' 7wt Powell Tiburon I own, but feels a little slower with a Rio Skagit 400gr 27' body w/15' of T-14, but will still pull the tip and 1/4 of a chicken out to a good (for me) distance. I'm not a polished spey caster by any stretch, but maybe this can be used for a little comparison.

In general, I believe that a Scandi line should be a little lighter than the Skagit line wt that works for you. This just seems logical to me based on the difference in the two casting methods.
iagree A general rule of thumb that I have seen used is about 10-20% lighter grain weight between the 2 line styles.