Top water pile worm patterns work!

Yesterday Kelvin made a post (dry fly sea-run cutthroat patterns)in patterns forum which got my attention. He had seen sea-run cutthroat chasing after pile worms that were on the water surface. So last night I tried tying up some top water pile worm patterns. The two patterns that looked the best were articulated tube and rabbit strip tube pile worm patterns. Both patterns have a foam head to be able to skate it. The articulated tube pattern was a time consuming process while the rabbit strip tube pattern was very easy/simple and only took 2 or 3 minutes to tie.

This afternoon I want out to try out the patterns midway through a big ebb tide at a good sea-run cutthroat location. I fished for a little over 1 hour and was pleasantly surprised how successful the top water pile worm patterns were. I landed quite a few nice sized fish(14 to 17 inches) with the largest one shown in the photograph below. It was caught on the rabbit strip tube pattern. The pattern slide up the leader but it can be seen in the upper left part of photograph. Most of the strikes were very aggressive. Both of the patterns worked about equally well but I am going to "stick" with the rabbit strip pile worm pattern since it is so much easier to tie. Plus, there are a few refinements that can be easily made to it and there are more colors that I can use for this pattern.

I am curious as to your presentation that made it successful.

I was casting out from shore at a 45 degree angle and used a moderate retrieve to keep the pattern skating on the swing and up current. I am going to try using a faster retrieve since pile worms can at times move rapidly. The water depth was 2 to 5 ft. The strikes were usually very aggressive since about 75% of the time I either hooked or stung any sea-run cutthroat which chased after the pattern. I was having to make pretty long casts since I was fishing from shore and the fish were out quite aways. It was often a little dificult to get a good hook set when quite a bit of line was out. The location that I was fishing is know to have olive pile worms so I used two toned black(barred)/olive rabbits strip with a small foam head(olive) in the front of the pattern. Another color which I am anxious to try is black barred gold variant rabbit strip.

Well, some of you will want to burn me for a heretic, but it won't be the first time.

Some of us have come to believe that the presentation is more important than what's tied on your string. A well known and respected local guide and former fly shop owner proved it to me for good. After listening to one of those hour long conversations where they were arguing colors, material, which flavor of sparkle one MUST use etc, *** **** attached a toothpick to a leader with a tiny rubber band and bent a hook on it.

He cast the thing on a local beach in the straits, got a good little "V" going as it skated across the shallows, and commenced to hooking SRCs or cutties, or blue backs, or harvest trout or whatever it is I'm supposed to call clarki clarki now.

Led me to believe that "how" is as important as "what". Maybe more.

Go Fish

Language, its a virus

I've caught Coastal Cutts on
Stimulators, Adult Caddis, and a
wide selection of top water flies
that leave a wake.

Right on Dave. It's fun to fine tune patterns that work, but I'm guessing that some of these guys like Roger and Leland have their presentations down so pat they could hook fish on a Tampon, fresh from the wrapper. Till it gets soggy anyway.