Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

BP-The Spill We Shouldn't Forget

5K views 77 replies 27 participants last post by  Flyborg 
#1 ·
Attached is a scan from Sunday's Tacoma News Tribune-from The Associated Press:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, the nice ads they have, showing BP employee's, who grew up in the area, stating that things are all good now, certainly suggests we should move on and not hold any ill feelings towards an honest mistake...I'm good.

Reactions: 11961
#3 ·
I think it is great to remain vigilant but I am suspicious of this one. Jose Wehebe and Larry Dahlberg both did specials on this and went out and caught fish with the folks that have been sampling the all species of fish since the spill. They looked at the impacts on the shoreline and questioned those working in the fishery too. They were definately looking for a problem but found none. All the thousands of fish flesh samples that were taken since the spill tested negative for any hydrocarbon problems. The guides and commercial guys seem to think the fishing was better than ever. There may be something to these new allegations but I would move slowly to pass judgement until we know the facts.

#12 ·
I think it is great to remain vigilant but I am suspicious of this one. Jose Wehebe and Larry Dahlberg both did specials on this and went out and caught fish with the folks that have been sampling the all species of fish since the spill. They looked at the impacts on the shoreline and questioned those working in the fishery too. They were definately looking for a problem but found none. All the thousands of fish flesh samples that were taken since the spill tested negative for any hydrocarbon problems. The guides and commercial guys seem to think the fishing was better than ever. There may be something to these new allegations but I would move slowly to pass judgement until we know the facts.
I saw an episode of Spanish Fly, fishing off the coast of Louisiana examining the after effects of the Deepwater Horizon spill. While Jose appeared to be gilling every fish he landed, he said the guides were reporting the fishing was great, possibly due to less fishing pressure because tourists had been scared away. Spin by the guides to get the tourists back? There did appear to be signs remaining along shoreline vegatation of the spill. Careful monitoring and mitigation should continue.

#4 ·
No. We shouldn't forget. Not the BP spill in the gulf, nor the Exxon Valdez in Alaska. But that does not mean we have to shut everything down forever either. Clean it up, take proper precautions to insure these accidents do not happen again, and move forward.

#6 ·
I think it is currently underway.

Flying from Seattle to New Orleans this week the sheer scope and number of fracking wells is astonishing. Once you cross the Yellowstone/teton range the entire flight path to Dallas and then to New Orleans was scattered with fracking sites. each one of those sites is about the size of a two-three tennis courts, a dirt road leads to most of them, they're stripped absolutely and fundamentally bare of vegetation and from the ground you might see two or three but from 30,000 feet you can see thousands and thousands of them. For mile after mile after mile, the earth is all pockmarked up with these sites. Rivebeds, fault lines, the semi-arid Wyoming and Colorado plains, ridges, hollows, gulleys, Texas hill country, right up to Dallas city limits everywhere you look there are those same shapes, the same spider-vein roads leading to them. It is one depressing scabbed-out scene, the scope of which is so much more vast than the Pebble mine or BP or Valdez. This was just one air route, let alone through the Marcellus Shales and Pensylvania/Ohio deposits. Or wherever in the world there's coal seams... And to think of all the crap pumped in to bust that gas out. Fucking depressing.

#9 ·
By the way, these environmental disasters are never properly mitigated. If it were as simple as just cleaning it up, the clean it up and move on approach would be viable. But first, rarely is there good base line data to assess before-and-after spill conditions. In a lot of cases, the true extent of the environmental damage is nearly imposible to quantify. Then, there is the compensatory damage and the frought subject of ecosystem valuation. It's not just a matter of clean it up and move on.

Speyfisher, If you don't like supporting foriegn oil imports--you should buy a prius and stop your complaining.

#10 ·
By the way, these environmental disasters are never properly mitigated. If it were as simple as just cleaning it up, the clean it up and move on approach would be viable. But first, rarely is there good base line data to assess before-and-after spill conditions. In a lot of cases, the true extent of the environmental damage is nearly imposible to quantify. Then, there is the compensatory damage and the frought subject of ecosystem valuation. It's not just a matter of clean it up and move on.

Speyfisher, If you don't like supporting foriegn oil imports--you should buy a prius and stop your complaining.
I don't believe there has been a herring fishery in Prince William Sound since the oil spill, not so easy for those guys to "move on". Not to mention every thing that feeds on those herring.

#11 ·
When you say fracking I assume you are talking about ground fracturing to harvest natural gas? Check out a documentary called GasLand. A guy goes on a trip to document all of the damage to the land and more importantly peoples health. There is a scene where a woman lights her running tap water on fire from the faucet.

#13 ·
speyfisher said:
does not mean we have to shut everything down forever---take proper precautions to insure these accidents do not happen again, and move forward.
You guys are a bunch of enviro-terrorists. Until the day comes that we no longer need to import crude, the price of fuel will continue to rise.

#15 ·
Snorting too much coal dust near near Pittsburg? If I had my way, I'd shut down every coal mine in the country. Clean Coal? Give me a break, there is no such thing. How many coal miners have to die before we quit sending miners to their graves?

Let me get this straight. Unless I'm opposed to any & all forms of energy development, sans wind or solar, I'm a nut cake member of the far right? We can't drill in the ocean, we can't drill on the land. And, even though no one has ever so much as stubbed their toe at a nuke plant, we can't even utter the word, 'cause it could happen. But we can continue to do business with Communist countries and Islamic countries who want to kill all infidels, as long as we stay out of their countries and leave them alone.

WTF have you guys been smoking? Alan Combs special blend? Or what?

#17 ·
A couple of things to consider: domestic oil production is up by 20% since 2008 and demand is down. Last year the US became a net exporter of refined fuels, in fact it is our #1 export. So even though we are producing more crude domestically, we continue to pay high prices for fuel partialy because it is sold on the world market( as well as the speculators on oil futures).

Reactions: kamishak steve
#22 ·
[quote We can't drill in the ocean, we can't drill on the land. And, even though no one has ever so much as stubbed their toe at a nuke plant, we can't even utter the word, 'cause it could happen[/quote]

The USA is exporting petro products.

The price to us is going up.

The USA is producing more gas and oil
than ever before and we are using less
and less with conservation and better
gas milage.

And the price is going up.

We can add more wells and frack the F
out the country.

And the price goes up.

More wells do not effect the price
to anyone in the USA. We conserve and
revenues go down and the price to the
consumers goes up (seeing a trend here).

I think South America has the right
idea of nationalizing big oil.

#39 ·
[quote We can't drill in the ocean, we can't drill on the land. And, even though no one has ever so much as stubbed their toe at a nuke plant, we can't even utter the word, 'cause it could happen
The USA is exporting petro products.

The price to us is going up.

The USA is producing more gas and oil
than ever before and we are using less
and less with conservation and better
gas milage.

And the price is going up.

We can add more wells and frack the F
out the country.

And the price goes up.

More wells do not effect the price
to anyone in the USA. We conserve and
revenues go down and the price to the
consumers goes up (seeing a trend here).

I think South America has the right
idea of nationalizing big oil.[/quote]
south america, try Norway! Those scandos have had nationalized oil for years. Profitable and very eco friendly. who knew it was possible!?

#26 ·
You green guys can buy stock in Solyndra & wait for the day you can hook your drift boats up to solar powered cars. Until then, maybe you can jerry rig a sail to your skateboard. Meanwhile China, as well as every other "emerging" country, is still burning fossil fuels, doesn't give a rats ass about pollution, and the wind blows it all over the world. But that's OK, 'cause we've got our act together. We're developing clean, green energy.

One of the reasons gasoline prices have gone through the roof, is that we haven't built any new refineries in the last fifteen or twenty years. And all that Alaskan oil is being exported to China because we are being fed a line of BS that it's sweet crude, or whatever, but it's not the kind of stuff we can refine into gasoline. So what the hell are the Chinese doing with it? Who do you suppose built their refineries for them? Couldn't be Bechtel, Siemens, or any of those guys.

Any of you remember Bethlehem Steel, U.S. Steel, Alcoa Aluminum? They're gone now. And all the jobs disappeared with them. A.L.C.O.A, Aluminum Company Of America has a smelting plant on the north side of Iceland, I've been there and seen it. Do they mine Aluminum ore in Iceland? No. It's shipped in from Australia. So why do you think Alcoa built a smelting plant half way around the world, way the f**k up there in Iceland? Cheap labor is only a part of it. They do not have to deal with the EPA! And the wind still blows all around the world.

Yeah, tax the rich. Tax big business, especially big oil. They're making way too much money. WTF are you guys smoking? Did you fail Economics 101 in high school? Was that the day you cut class and went fishing? Or what? Do you really expect these big corporations to risk billions of dollars, not government grants or guaranteed loans, but their own money, for a 5% return on a ten year investment? Get real. WE make it expensive for them to do business in the U.S, they just pass it on to us, the consumer, in higher prices.

Drill here! Drill now! Bring that pipeline down from Canada. If for no other reason than to keep them from sending their oil to China! And while we're at it, lets get the trains running again and quit tearing up the highways shipping oil and other goods by truck! CSX says they can move five tons of product one mile on one gallon of fuel! Build more refineries, Build more nuke plants. Build out there in the desert, like area 51, don't acknowledge their existence, and don't let anyone near them. The French generate 80% of their power from nuke plants. The French for cryin out load! These are the people that make Renault's, Peugeot's, & Citroen's! I've been there too. And they are real proud of the fact that they are getting cheap power from their nukes.

I've got a big steak ready for the barby tonight, it's fired by charcoal. And I'm not gonna lose any sleep over mad cow disease! Tomorrow night it'll be drunken chicken. You think I'm worried about Salmonella? Sunday I'm gonna do a plank smoked Salmon. I've got a full tank of gas and the river is only six miles from my front door. How are you guys gettin' to work?

#27 ·
Spey,

If conservation is bad in your mind then
thats ok with me. Go shoot a passenger pigeon.

The oil companies are producing more
product than ever before, the USA is using
less petro products that 3 years ago.
And the price is going up. Oil is sold to
whomever will pay the most which means
that the prices here will go up no matter
how many refineries, nuke plants, or
windmills we have.

So the solution is?

Get rid of the EPA, bust the
Union scum with health benefits,
bring back the seven day work week
and child labor.

Move to China and enjoy all this and more.

Dave

#29 ·
No need to go so far as child labor. However I see nothing wrong with reining in the unions a lot and the EPA a little bit. I still want clean water for the fish. As far as the evil oil companies, my solution would be whatever comes out of U.S. soil, stays in the U.S.A.

#31 ·
I don't think the unions need to be reined in as much as the CEO's do. The average S & P 500 CEO made 380 times the salary of the blue collar worker in 2011. This is up from 42 times the average workers compensation in 1980. It comes down to corporate greed. I know they need to make a profit for the share holders but the CEO's wages are getting way out of line.

#32 ·
I have issues on several aspects concerning unions. But the one that I find most irritating is SEIU. Service Employees International Union. This is the union which represents employees at all levels of government. Said employees are supposedly working for us, you & I, we the people. In reality, through the power of the union, they are bankrupting us with their demands of higher wages, employee benefits, and retirement packages. It has gotten out of hand. But no one has the balls to address the problem.

#33 ·
If anyone is opposed to higher wages, employee benefits, and retirement packages, RAISE your hand..... I bet BP employees have some of those benefits! I'm going to barbeque some blind shrimp now....well, on 2nd thought, maybe not!!

#36 ·
Derek,

You ignorant slut.

How can you say that we are giving money to big oil?

It is the governments job to help companies in need.

If big oil failed then we ( the Gov.) could take them over
and lower the costs to everyone.

That wouldn't be right,

dK

#40 ·
Derek,

You ignorant slut.

How can you say that we are giving money to big oil?

It is the governments job to help companies in need.

If big oil failed then we ( the Gov.) could take them over
and lower the costs to everyone.

That wouldn't be right,

dK
Although I am in completely in favour of calling anyone an ignorant slut, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Oil companies do get tax breaks. considerable ones.

They also create jobs.

They also create pollution.

They also create fuel we need to drive to go fishing.

They also spill oil all over our fishing holes.

You can't win for trying...

#41 ·
Canada has already forgotten the oil spill, our (Canadian) government is hell bent on sending cheap oil to China. Unfortunately, this means putting an oil pipeline through the Skeena watershed (goodbye Skeena) and then shipping it by tanker through narrow treacherous coastal passageways (goodbye coastline).

F * * * the Harper government.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.