8 wt rod and reel suggestions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IrishFishinGuy, Nov 16, 2002.

1. IrishFishinGuy

IrishFishinGuy New Member

I know these topics have came up before, but I am looking for an 8wt rod and reel for salmon and steelhead. I have looked around and was wondering if STH reels are decent. The cartrige system looks pretty cool. Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend more than $250. Thanks in advance,

IFG <(()><

2. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

being politically correct sucks

http://www.cabelas.com

while you are there, sign up for a free catalog and make sure you choose the flyfishing one. they have good prices on stuff for all price ranges.

~sean~

3. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

WWGrigg at Outdoor emporium, and an Okuma Magnitude reel, then the backing and the line will keep you under the $200 range.

Nope, the WWGrigg rods won't cast a country mile like a Sage XP, but I have fished for salmon and steelhead for 2 years with mine, and its fine for all but the heaviest shooting heads, and the longest casts. The Magnitude reel is getting rave reviews everywhere for its inexpensiveness and its quality.

And at the Outdoor emporium, you can get a Type 4 sink tip by SA for about $39, backing for about $10, and you will be set.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

I find the WW Grigg rods (IM6 graphite) are a great deal for a "presentation" rod, but I'd go with a Temple Fork Outfitters for a great deal on a distance rod. My girlfirend's rod is a Grigg, while mine is the TFO. You can get a two piece TFO for well under $100. They're available online or through Ruddick's Fly Shop up in Vancouver, B.C. Ruddick's is also online, but they don't do online sales.

5. Rob Blomquist

So, you really think that TFO rods are that much stiffer, and able to cast distance?

Give me some more info, I am really curious, and in the market for something stiffer.

Rob
    ---------

6. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Rob,
    I don't own one, but check out www.danblanton.com - he took some TFO's on a trip to Australia and has a good write up - there also also tons of post about happy TFO owners .

Irish - the only suggestions I have is to get a 4-5 piece rod if your budget allows...easier to pack on trips, hikes etc. AND get a multitip line system - will cost more intially, but after your buy 4-5 flylines and spare spools to meet all the conditions, you'll be way ahead with the multitip system, and more nimble in the water.

Jim W

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

TL,

Yes, I can truthfully state that my IM6 6wt TFO is definitely more stiffer than my woman's Grigg. I've noticed that I can feel flexing into the butt when I double haul the Grigg. This isn't the case with my TFO. As a matter of fact, this is so much so that I sometimes feel that I need to work on the rhythm of my cast and the breaking of my wrist in the power stroke to better exploit what still seems in reserve. Also, TFO offers an IM8 rod for even faster/stiffer action. TFO, if I rightly recall, has finally got their website up and running. However, I don't rightly recall the address. Good luck on that. As I have said before, Ruddick's in Vancouver B.C. carries the line. And if you buy one, don't expect a fancy case. The company usually only provides this B.S. plastic tube.

8. Rob Blomquist

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

And no sweat on the case, I build my own rods, too, so I have all sorts of funky cases. I'm gonna put one of their rods on my short list.

As I like to say, its not about the rod, the line, the reel or the case, its about the fish one catches with it.
    ---------

9. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Does anyone know of a dealer or website where I can buy one of these temple fork rods. I'd like to cast one before I buy too. The link to the manufacturer was very informative, but no retailers in Washington. :HMMM YT

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

I was doing the same this summer,wanting a 8wt. So I had a buddy make one for me. An 9'6" 8wt out of a Avid blank(St Croix). Now that I have it I just can't seem to cast it. It makes me feel like I did something wrong just to have it. Maybe I'm Just not supposed to go out and catch any big fish. So I seem to stick to my 5wt which I like. It feels like that extra 6" is a drag. This is not going anywhere I just had to get it off my chest.

Jim

11. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

There are lots of online sales outlets, but Ruddick's in Vancouver B.C. is the only shop in the greater region I've been to that carries them. I'd be willing to let you give mine a try if I wasn't staring at the vague possibility of getting a job on a Matson container ship this weekend. Otherwise I'd be more open to pencilling you in on Saturday. If I don't ship out, is there a way I can contact you? I live in Seattle, just south of Woodland Park Zoo. You can email me through this website.

12. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Sage is introducing a new model called the LE. I think a 2 piece rod is about $170, and the 4 piece is $195. And, the Redington Wayfarer is a kick butt deal, too, a 5 piece rod for $195 retail.

Tough to beat Sage for quality and service! And, you know they will be around for a long time. Not dinging Temple Fork, but will the company be a viable entity, say, in 5 years when and if you need your rod repaired? If you fish much, it will be 'when'. A lifetime warranty doesn't do you any good if the company is no longer in business. Check out the recent demise of Powell fly rods.

Just a few things to consider.

13. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

STH reel

I have two STH reels, both of them cassette models, and both are upper-end machined reels. One is the saltwater version, and it's pretty skookum.

The cassette concept is pretty cool, really. However, I would be careful about the lower-priced cassette reels. It seems they weren't, or aren't, that durable, for most reports I've seen.

If you're thinking of buying a cassette reel, check out the Orvis large arbor Rocky Mountain series. The reel is like $75, and the spools are maybe $15.

What I like about cassettes in that they are "clean" to carry around, i.e. they have no handles sticking out like a standard spool, no gears (with oil or grease), no drag tabs, etc., sticking out of them, so they transport very easily in a pocket or vest.

14. 808fishin

808fishin New Member

I am also looking into an 8wt rod and reel and I saw that riverwire.com has the 9' 8wt 5pc on sale for $165, $30 off retail and they have free shipping and no tax. I ordered one a few days ago and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival! After that i'm going looking/shopping around for an 8wt reel. I was going to hold off getting the 8wt set up until early next spring, but I got the itch :THUMBSUP and with the sale on the rod that I wanted to get anyways, I couldn't resist. Just more fishing toys!

15. peter the nymph

peter the nymph New Member

I've got a WWGrigg 8/9 wt, and a buddy with the same rod. After a couple of days casting it, the ferrules started cracking and in short order, the rod was a useless noodle. I took it back to Outdoor Emporium and they gave me a new one off the shelf (killer customer service, eh?). Recently, the same thing happened to my buddy. Ferrules cracked just like mine. He sent his back to WWGrigg and they're replacing it.

So, careful on the going with the Grigg. I haven't had any trouble lately, but I'm just waiting for it to fail again. Ack!

-ptn