Circle of buggers

Nice ties. I don't fish buggers as much as other guys, with the exception of my beloved white bugger, but I do try to have a good handful of seal buggers tied up. In fact, buggers are not far down my list of things to work on. I've been tying a ton lately.... Went through a flurry of simi seal leeches and various micro leeches last week. Now I'm on a big chironomid kick. Six packs/Olive willies will be next, and then buggers. I've really had the tying bug bad lately.

I was out on a lake today, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at some very tight lipped fish. When I reached in for a seal bugger, I discovered I was empty. No bueno. I need to get busy.

GAT

Dumbfounded
You guys are really cheensy with your marabou... I use the entire feather!:D

WB and leech patterns are my stillwater staple. I probably keep the entire marabou industry alive and well. I was bored this winter and didn't like the idea of fishing for winter steelhead amongst the crowds, so I tied flies. I ran out of fly boxes for WB and leeches and had to buy more... sheesh.

Those are great patterns. Rock ties the tail for his WBs in a similar fashion and doesn't use the entire blood quill feather tips as do I. Sometimes it can make a difference as to how much marabou you use. On day, Rock was doing better with a black WB than I and I couldn't figure it out. I finally looked at what he was using and it was tied with what I call "sparse" marabou for the tail. So nowadays, I tie them heavy and slim with regards to the marabou tail.

Those are definitely stillwater go-to patterns!

Drifter

First red bead kinda flashy buggers and now a slimmed down natural version. Scottfly is right - looks like you will be well armed for ice off!

I didn't throw buggers at all last year but there were two times I should of in 6 to 8 ft. flats with the fish spread out with no structure to stop them from roaming. you can bet I wont make the same mistake twice!
Nick you could send some of that "tying bug" my way - I need to get busy!!!

I didn't throw buggers at all last year but there were two times I should of in 6 to 8 ft. flats with the fish spread out with no structure to stop them from roaming. you can bet I wont make the same mistake twice!
Nick you could send some of that "tying bug" my way - I need to get busy!!!
When I fish reservoirs in eastern ID and MT I use buggers the same way your are describing - covering the flats when the fish are spread out. It's not as much fun as working a big chironomid or callibaetis hatch but better than sitting at camp!

Some of those lakes have what seems like acres of 5-8' weedy shoals. It all looks good. Wind drifting and working seal buggers with a hover line is a good way to scout those areas and locate the subtle breaks, channels, and springs that concentrate the fish. I'll be bringing a GPS on my next trip to start marking where I see features I want to come back to.