NFR Stripping the soul from the Olympics

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
I'm with you. HS, college and freestyle. I cannot imagine the olypics without wrestling. IOC is dropping the ball, going after $ over a rich, diverse "tournament of tournaments."

My daughter is a redshirt freshman wrestling at Simon Fraser in BC. She spent last week at a junior national team development camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs returning home last night. She was as happy as I have ever seen her in this photo:

aikaOTC1.jpg

She woke me up in tears this morning to show me the article. Basically, her dream of competing in the Olympics that drives her to train 5hrs a day and give up a normal life all through high school and the first year of college may be taken away by a bunch of rich assholes pandering to their friends.

The IOC chose 'modern pentathlon' over wrestling. It's a made up sport that is a combination of equestrian, fencing, shooting, running and swimming. It was created at the turn of the century by cavalry officers... The recommendation was one of the worst examples of corruption and bias that I have seen in sports. Hopefully, someone will slap some sense into those guys.

I wonder how many kids around the world have dreams of being Olympic Champions in 'modern pentathlon'...

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
For a minute here I thought you were talking about the Olympic Peninsula rivers!
I too am disappointed over this idea. I could see dropping Ping Pong easily. But wrestling is so basic to human competition, an ancient sport,

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Sure it's spelled Whimpification, but it's pronounced "Vaginized"..

Taking wrestling away from the Olympics would be like taking fish out of fishing. It is one of the originals, it is one of the few "pure" sports left (pure as in it requires nothing more than you and an opponent).

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....

Taking wrestling away from the Olympics would be like taking fish out of fishing. It is one of the originals, it is one of the few "pure" sports left (pure as in it requires nothing more than you and an opponent).
"pussification", or "wussification", as you choose. I think I'll add more whiskey to my coffee this morning. Then saddle up the skis and the .243 for a little interaction with the local predator population. You read bullshit like this and it makes me want to go out and remind myself why my eyes are set forward in my head, rather than on the side.

fredaevans

As Jeremy points out this was one of THE original Olympic sports. Considering the odd ones they've added over the years, this move makes no sense at all.

o mykiss

C'mon - you mean you guys prefer wrestling to synchronized diving? Seriously, the way the Olympics have been covered by NBC for the last couple decades it's pretty clear they and the IOC are going after the female demographic.

Salmo_g

The Olympics have been evolving toward marketing for the most money, kind of like the NFL. It's no longer about gathering the best athletes in the world for international competition. It's about gathering the largest global audience in the world to make the most money off the Olympics name.

Brian White

Recovering Bugmeister
the article said something to the effect that in the future wrestling would have to compete for inclusion with sports such as rollerblading. Rollerblading!?! Rollerblading!?! Are you kidding me!?!

I'm not a wrestling fan, but i appreciate it for what it is - a great one on one contest. I also like the fact that it provides lots of countries with an opportunity to medal. I am a US supporter, but I kinda like the fact that with wrestling, athletes from smaller countries without $$$$$$$$$$ to spend on athletic programs still seem to regularly medal. Will smaller countries be able to provide budget and resources to send medal-contending "modern penthatletes" to the games?

PT

Physhicist
Rhythmic gymnastics... Synchronized diving..... No wrestling.......?

When I had CBUT I was able to watch the Olympics. Now that I don't have it, all I get to watch is Michael Phelps and a couple other product endorsers

YGTBFKM!!!