So, curious, what's behind your avatar and username?

Joepa

Joe from PA
Joepa = joe from the commonwealth of Pennsylvania where I resided 'til '98.
Handle image is a depiction of a Squonk, a mythical creature that in habits the hemlock forests of PA.

Name is obvious, first name and initial. Picture was taken by a friend on a fishing trip we took last year in the cascades, near my family's cabin. It's exactly the kind of stream I dream about when fishing in the mountains. But I only get there a few times a year, since I live in Wisconsin now. Lots of great fishing here, but it's a different kind of topography.

Krusty

The avatar is just a pic I took fishing one of my favorite eastern Washington mountain lakes from my kayak.

Krusty is an old family name. My son has always been little krusty (but he's much bigger than I am, these days).

Why the name 'krusty'? Well...I'm big, bald, heavily tattooed, with a beard. I guess I have always looked 'krusty'. I'm rather proud of the fact that when I've been on my Harley (and it ain't no garbage scow of an ultra or road king) I've had full-patch members from various 1% clubs invite me to clubhouses to party. I must look like promising felon material.

Maybe it's my charm. Dirtbags in small towns wave at me...thinkin I must be one of their own. Maybe I am. Sometimes, even white trash, like me, can flyfish
My son, Little krusty, informs me I look more like an 'accomplished' felon. I guess that could explain a lot.

I spent most of my time in college studying stream ecology, limnology, and macro invertebrates. I find stoneflies especially fascinating. One of the coolest experiences I've ever had was witnessing a massive hatch of huge stoneflies on the upper south fork of the Sauk under a full moon. I sat on a rock on the river that night and was able to watch them actually crawling out of the water onto the rocks, splitting their wing casings and taking flight. Simply amazing stuff! I make an annual pilgrimage to see this at a certain time every year.

The avatar is my first fly reel and a box flies that my dad and my grandfather tied.

Alosa

Ok. my turn. My name is the genus of the species I work on (i.e. Alosine fishes: American shad, alewife, blueback herring, etc.), and the picture is an underwater shot of some American shad that a colleague of mine took while we were collecting specimens on a river in Nova Scotia.

My avatar image is one of our three dogs, Coco. We have a Chocolate Lab (Jumar) and a Cattledog/Chiuahua mix (Coby). Our dogs are our kids so its full tilt love for the little nerds :) and I share their images as much as possible.

The Eyejuggler is from a traditional Cheyenne tribe story about Coyote, a classic and mythical figure of mischief and daring.

airedale

have the same problem Mike......my avitar is one of our girls who passed away 5 or 6 years ago....of all our girls, she is the one who left the most everlasting impression.....every time i see her pic it brings back a...............

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
I've been studying the biology of cottids (sculpins) for over 30 years. Most of their common names are a bit cumbersome (e.g., red Irish lord), but cabezon, a species that I have worked with, is a reasonable mouthful. The image is of a print of the buffalo sculpin, Enophrys bison, in a classic Pacific Northwest Indian style that I like and have owned since 1982.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
I respect those of you who use your real names, and I really do want to do the same. But I worked in identity and security at Microsoft and elsewhere, and if you knew what I know, you'd also err on the side of anonymity in all things Internet like I do too.

Lugan is an ethnic slur against Lithuanians, which I am 100%.

I'm also an old punk rocker, and my avatar is the cover of (IMO) the best rock record ever: The Clash "London Calling".

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
I respect those of you who use your real names, and I really do want to do the same. But I worked in identity and security at Microsoft and elsewhere, and if you knew what I know, you'd also err on the side of anonymity in all things Internet like I do too.

Lugan is an ethnic slur against Lithuanians, which I am 100%.

I'm also an old punk rocker, and my avatar is the cover of (IMO) the best rock record ever: The Clash "London Calling".
Funny, 'Balmer' doesn't sound like a Lithuanian name...

K