Today on the Yak in Cle

Looks like it might be a male kelt. Live male kelts are rare. Spawned a time or two, maybe looking for another hen?

Certainly a memorable catch while trouting.
Nice fish, congrats!
how do you figure its a kelt? Its early march and all I see is a buck in full spawning colors. Also looks pretty healthy at this point, not any of the typically black/gray paleness and slim appearance of one. Also Ive never heard of a kelt fighting like he explained.
Way to go man!

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
nice fish and great story, bet I know what your buddy is going to tell his co-workers tommorrow, or the guys at the fly shop he frequents

Cruik

Amazing fish. Did you know it was a steelhead right away? I feel like whenever I hook into a fish on the yak that's 20 inches or bigger, my instinct is that I've hooked a steelhead. I still haven't hooked a steelhead in the yak; they've just been brute resident fish.

Also, it looks like a hen to me, but maybe that's just the angle.

Amazing fish. Did you know it was a steelhead right away? I feel like whenever I hook into a fish on the yak that's 20 inches or bigger, my instinct is that I've hooked a steelhead. I still haven't hooked a steelhead in the yak; they've just been brute resident fish.

Also, it looks like a hen to me, but maybe that's just the angle.
It was actually my buddy that hooked it.I've never seen anything that big on the Yak before,so I though there could be a chance that it was a steelhead.As soon as I got home I started doing research and it seemed likely.Then a few of the guys on the site confirmed it.