How I Roll

Paul_

I’m sure many of you are going through this, been through this or will be going through this stage in your fishing life.

How I used to roll (fish), a lot-
  • Up by 4:30 a.m. and on the road by 5 a.m.
  • NWA, Johnny Cash, Metallica…, were blaring on the radio.
  • The cooler was loaded with Mickeys Big Mouths (the white-mans malt liquor) and few P&J sandwiches to get me through the day.
  • I usually only made one stop at Jitters Coffee in Kelso and would be at the lake by 7 a.m.
  • I would fish hard through out the day, with only the occasional pee in the bucket break or to scarf down a sandwich.
  • I would be back at the ramp at dark.
  • After the day was done and I was driving home, I would feel happy.
How I roll now (fish), not a lot-
  • Up by 6 a.m. and on the road by 8:30 a.m. (if lucky).
  • Taylor Swift, Katie Perry, Kelly Clarkston…, are blaring on the radio (at least there’s no Justin Bieber!).
  • The cooler is loaded with Capri Suns, Bug Juice, Candy, Crackers, Chips, Subway Sandwiches and lots of other snacks.
  • There is a stop at McDonalds in Kelso for breakfast, a stop in Castle Rock to get Subway for lunch, a stop in Toutle to get candy and finally arrive at the lake at 11:30 a.m. (if lucky).
  • I don’t fish all that hard during the day. I do however spend a lot of time untangling lines and taking multiple trips to shore for pee breaks (you would think 5 & 9 year old girls would be willing to pee in a bucket).
  • I now get back to the ramp around 3 p.m.
  • After the day is done and I’m driving home (with yet another stop to get something to eat), I feel just as happy as I did back in the day, just have two additional fishing partners with me.

Pretty much how I do it too. Spent way more time untangling lines yesterday than fishing, but enjoy it immensely.:)
I'm getting our two girls, eight and eleven into tying their own flies. They've been working on cmids and were fascinated to actually witness a huge hatch of good sized ones at the lake we went to. They're stoked to catch fish on their own ties.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I get up at about 4 in the morning. I bang on my lap top until about 7. I wait for the wife to wake up(she like her sleep). See what she has planned. Nothing for me, thank goodness. I jump in my Pick-me-up truck and drive 15 miles to may favorite spot on the Beaverhead. I fish for about a hour and then I go home.If I want to hit the Big Hole, it is about 20 miles from home.

When I was younger I could go all day, now that I'm older than dirt a hour is about it.

Edit: My comes out may. Don't know how or why but it won't let me change it. It shows my when I typed it but comes out may when I post it. I must be a klutz of some kind.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
Similar scenario unfolding for me, Paul: Mine are three boys and maybe a year younger than yours. They started out fishing over the past two years 1:1 with me from a canoe, and this year we're switching to a Streamtech purchased over the winter from Derek Young. I can't wait, and like you, I don't feel like I'm missing anything by foregoing my former hardcore fishing habits. Change is good. Good change is great.

Porter

Liver savers I believe they call them! ......JK :) and by the way that is an awesome pic of your fishing partners.... I would not trade them for anybody on this forum! They will help in the social circles by embellishing all your catches....and then wink when the others are not looking ;)

Cruik

I know this post probably swelled a lot of hearts, but I think it just made me realize that I'm not ready to be done with the selfish period of my life.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Not me, for better or worse; My kids-in their 30's, show no sign of getting married and having kids of their own, so I had to insinuate myself into Jason's sons' lives! This season, pseudo-gramps is going to teach them how to silently stalk a deer with a recurve bow. Improvise, adapt, overcome-Hoo YA!

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
Cute kids guys. Would it be so selfish if I had a vasectomy for the sake of fishing? I want to keep catching fish until after dark and not feel like an ass when I get home!