License rant

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
I don't mind paying for my hunting/fishing license each year: at least a portion of the fees go toward conservation.

What irks me is the multiple linear feet of waterproof paper that then has to be folded up and tucked into a license holder, somehow: license, catch records, turkey, deer and elk tags, etc. what a wad.

There's got to be a simpler a credit card that can be swiped, revealing what the hunter/angler has purchased. Anyone know if this is done elsewhere?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
All I need is a conservation license. It is on Waterproof paper and is about 8" long. I fold it about four times and it fits in my wallet. About the only time I take it out is at the beginning of the next years time when I buy a new one.

In 7 years of fishing here in Montana I have only been asked once to show it.

I know, I know. It's not Washington. But it used to be that way, before they all got greedy.

Jeff Dodd

Active Member
This is a serious pet peeve of mine. Bought a recycled waders wallet to carry it all in. And now the Discovery Pass is required at more and more locations it seems.

Last week I fished Roses Lk near Chelan. There is a launch on the lake that required a Discovery Pass. Are these passes not only for State Parks? I havE the D. pass but still wonder if the State has changed the rules a bit in order to sell more of these parking passes.

I am not a conspiracy theory person, but I sound like one tonight :)


Active Member
The ones I hate are the ones that say they don't honor WDFW or Discover passes but want actual cash instead. There are two of those nearby and I will most likley never fish either one again.


Scott Salzer

previously micro brew

If you camp at the "state park" your receipt is your "daily discover pass". If ya don't, and just use the access and launch, ya need the discovery pass.

I just throw all the stuff ---- on the dash board.

Then there is the forest pass........... My dash is covered.

City / county, can do what they want with access fees, as Ive points out.

Should be simple, but it's not.

Yeah, I remember buying my Washington saltwater license and it was ridiculous- looked like a receipt from Costco, which I don't shop at.
Up here in BC, we just go online, fill out our info and click on what we want (annual license, freshwater salmon and a steelhead tag). Print it out on computer paper and I fold it up into a ziplock bag. Fits in my chest pack and I just leave it there for the season.
I can't remember how old I was when I started fishing, but in at least 20-something years, I've never been asked for it or checked. Ever.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I can still remember when I first fished in Washington state. All you needed back in the olden days was a fishing license. You could then fish anyplace you wanted to. Boy, things have sure changed. Now you almost need a pass to fart. Steelhead and salmon punch cards were free.


It's the same deal in Oregon. You get a crummy receipt that is kind'a water resistant but not really. The salmon/steelhead tag is separate so you need to fold a weird-ass origami thing to get both the fishing license and tag to fit in your wallet. For the price we pay for the license and tag , I'd like something a little more substantial than a cash register receipt.

And yup, they've recently started requiring another receipt for parking at specific fisheries.

All so they can keep the damned fish hatcheries up and running.


beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto
in montana one peice of paper is good virtually everywhere. unless your a guide, then you'll need 6 or more documents at a cost of over 800 clams before you guide your first trip every year.