May Fly Salon - March Brown

From all reports I've heard March Browns are still working well on the Yakima. I intend to find out after the Expo in Ellensburg winds down. Anyhow, post up your March Browns for the May Fly Salon.

Here's a favorite of mine. Being a wet fly kind of guy it's on a Mustad 3906 size 12, thread is Pearsall's Gossamer silk in scarlet, Hungarian Partridge dyed fiery brown for hackle, the rib is fine gold oval tinsel, tails are bronze mallard fibers, abdomen is pine squirrel flank with a bit of SLF added, thorax is squirrel dyed dark brown with a bit of SLF added.

kelvin

From all reports I've heard March Browns are still working well on the Yakima. I intend to find out after the Expo in Ellensburg winds down. Anyhow, post up your March Browns for the May Fly Salon.

Here's a favorite of mine. Being a wet fly kind of guy it's on a Mustad 3906 size 12, thread is Pearsall's Gossamer silk in scarlet, Hungarian Partridge dyed fiery brown for hackle, the rib is fine gold oval tinsel, tails are bronze mallard fibers, abdomen is pine squirrel flank with a bit of SLF added, thorax is squirrel dyed dark brown with a bit of SLF added.
nice

yes awe just did March browns in March

porterHause

Just call me Jon
Well at least I can update that the March Brown nymph I tied up for the March Salon proved very successful.

Over the last month and a half this puppy scored a number of rainbows and whitefish on the Yak.
Yellow Mallard flank tail, brown goose biot, black ice dub, with two strands of pearl flash over the top. Tied on a Gamakatsu scud sz 12-14.
20130327_125547.jpg

Dang, your right, this was the March fly. I can change it or leave it. I am liking the look of some of these MB's though. What say you, change it or let it stand?

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Well at least I can update that the March Brown nymph I tied up for the March Salon proved very successful.

Over the last month and a half this puppy scored a number of rainbows and whitefish on the Yak.
Yellow Mallard flank tail, brown goose biot, black ice dub, with two strands of pearl flash over the top. Tied on a Gamakatsu scud sz 12-14.
View attachment 27376
What was done to the biot to make it glisten so. Or is the fly wet?

GAT

Dumbfounded
I wonder how much of that brand of finger nail polish is sold to fly tyers. Just about every fly tyer I've met over the years uses the product.

porterHause

Just call me Jon
do you put that on the biot after it is wrapped and before the thorax is added or after the fly is complete? I see something glistening on the head also.
On the Biot after it's wrapped, and on the head/wing case after it's glued and dried as well. I tie up a bunch of tails, then coat. By the time I'm done coating the tails, the first one is dry enough, and I add thorax/wing case/head, following the same process with the glue and second coat.