Trying to resist the urge...

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
That's for sure!!! It's really cool... the pedestal base has heavy duty magnets installed on the bottom. Perfect for those who use metal fly tying desks! That's the selling point. ....there isn't much else.
I don't do much tying on the hood of my truck so I think I'll pass. :D

GAT

Dumbfounded
I don't do much tying on the hood of my truck so I think I'll pass. :D
Hey, you never know.... why else did they come up with a vise that includes magnets on the bottom? (actually, the unit includes a metal plate to provide a larger base so the magnets do have a legit use... but it's still fun making jokes about them)

...to buy a new vise. I spent Saturday at the FFF show in Ellensburg and saw a ton of tiers, all of whom had very nice vises. Interestingly enough, the most popular vise seemed to be a vise by Wasatch...the model J, I believe, which I have not heard much talk about. Anyway, I know my cheap little vise will do the job well enough and my money is probably better spent on good materials but, Damn!, I'm having a hard time resisting the urge!!!
Those J vises are industrial sculpture. If you have the disposable funds go for it. The only bad part is that you'll have to make sure the rest of your tying space is up to par.

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
Well, my favorite tying space is on my lap...much like Jay Smit, the maker (according to his website). It hardly compares to the one above, but it doesn't kill my back.

I've decided what I really need is a permanent, fully equipped tying station in every room in my house. it drives my wife batty how I will drag all my tying stuff around to whichever room we happen to be hanging in, and I end up leaving a trail of materials and tools through the house. My desk is in my bedroom but I find it much more enjoyable to bring my stuff out and tie around my family instead of alone in the bedroom

I've decided what I really need is a permanent, fully equipped tying station in every room in my house. it drives my wife batty how I will drag all my tying stuff around to whichever room we happen to be hanging in, and I end up leaving a trail of materials and tools through the house. My desk is in my bedroom but I find it much more enjoyable to bring my stuff out and tie around my family instead of alone in the bedroom
Something on wheels.