Forgotten rod classics

Redington NTiQ. Fast, bombproof, cool looking finish. The original NTi rods could hold their own today as well I think, been awhile since I cast one. But aside from the XP, mentioned first, this was the other rod I immediately thought of.

Once the Loomis GLX rods get mothballed, you should add them as well, I still think they're as good for my tastes as anything out there...

Dan

Porter

Redington NTiQ. Fast, bombproof, cool looking finish. The original NTi rods could hold their own today as well I think, been awhile since I cast one. But aside from the XP, mentioned first, this was the other rod I immediately thought of.

Once the Loomis GLX rods get mothballed, you should add them as well, I still think they're as good for my tastes as anything out there...

Dan
Where those the ice blue colored redington rods?

HA. Haven't seen one of them in awhile. I remember when I was growing up, I used to fish a water hazard at a nearby golf course that mostly had bluegills, sunfish and bull heads and this 9-10 year old kid actually hooked one of huge carps also in there that no one ever caught on his Pocket Fisherman. Quite the spectacle....

A friend of mine swears by the Red NTIQ rods.He catches huge Jacks on them on a 12wt.He reckons he cant find anything close to them.I cannot understand why they discontinued them?

Jim B

This thread got me thinking about the first fly rod I built about 1981, from an 8'6" 7 wt 2 pc Lamiglass S-Glass blank....my first trout and summer steelhead rod....moderately slow, but plenty of lifting power. I haven't used it in about 10+ years....I guess it's time to dust it off and put it through its paces!

Drifter

OMG, those S-GLASS rods were the best plug rods ever built! I had one for years that I drift-fished with and sometimes would run plugs with. they are very sought after by people in the know! I offered a friend $200 for his about 15 years ago and he wouldn't sell it.

scottybs

I told the folk at the Sage plant that if they ever made a better rod than my DS2 4wt I'd buy it. They sold the DS2 to fly shops to use as rentals. I picked one up for $100 and it is my favorite unless I need long casts.
I second this, my first "nice" rod was a 476 DS2, what a great rod!

Klickrolf

Rob Allen nailed it in my opinion, a great rod design will always be a great rod design.
Agreed. In terms of single hand rods the Sage 8100-3 RPL (not +)was/is the best steelhead single hander I've ever cast. It'll do it all and do it well. Those who like roll casting for steelhead should own this rod.