8wt sink tip line question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Higgins, Oct 22, 2013.

1. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Simmer down chief you're getting carried away. All I said was the shorter a shooting head the harder it is to mend. For some reason this fact pissed you off...relax

Back to the op: get a 2 hander and don't look back

2. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

True, but discussion is always good. I'll still be getting a 8wt single hander. MIght actually step it up to a 9 or 10, it will be for bass and musky. Thanks for helping me spend more money. Gonna have to go over to pacific fly fishers with $1000 in the pocket and get some new gear:D

3. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

If you're set on getting a SH (that's all I fish), IMO, there's no better line for swinging than Ambush. My 8wt lined up with the 8wt Ambush (290gr) will turn over modestly sized flies plus 8-10' of T-8 pretty easily. Although, lately I've been playing around with Rio Pike/Musky line (check out the taper), and really like a slightly longer head...So far, I've found it thus far to be every bit the equal to the Ambush (I have yet to try any sort of tips on it yet, but I rarely fish with tips anyway).

Simply by choosing to go with a SH, you're already limiting how effectively you can fish at extreme distance. If you're wanting to bomb casts out consistently 100+', go with a spey rod.

4. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Yeah I've decided to do a single hander for Musky/Bass and get a Spey for the Steel. Some of the runs I fish will benefit greatly from the distance a 2h gives me.

5. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

yeah, I've considered that many times...even went to far as to get a 2H rod several years ago. Loved the distance I could get (with a little practice), but I just enjoy fishing my glass rods too damn much to really want to fish that spey even periodically...consequently, it is no longer a part of my quiver. I find that I just fish smaller pieces of water & water that I wouldn't have given a second look if I was fishing a 2-hander.