Low holed and pocket picked

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
If you're going to join the party at a meat hole, go ahead and swing. Just hit the sweet water first. Check that, always hit the sweet water first. Then you can fish methodically and know you at least got a solid pass at the good stuff!

And I feel your pain. That kind of happening will cause "steelhead blueballs."

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
I was just venting in a rant this morning. yes I had too high of expectations for that hole. I would probably throw spoons if I had a normal rod but for some reason this two handed game has taken my ass over worse than a meth dealer
Why can't you swing a spoon with a spey rod?

Serious question...because trust me...it CAN be done with killer results.

E

Evan Virnoche

Why can't you swing a spoon with a spey rod?

Serious question...because trust me...it CAN be done with killer results.
I haven't actually tried it but I have a feeling the anchor would be such a bitch to pick up

KerryS

Ignored Member
There is an item called the Wells Spoon. It was made to be cast with a fly rod. It is one of the most deadly lures out there and throwing one with a spey rod using tips increases its effectiveness by several factors. The line control gained with the longer rod and using various tips for depth control give you total control of the lure and its presentation. Absolutely deadly on coho. The death star of spoons.

I've heard some very entertaining stories about people swinging Dick Nites (one very clever fellow WFF member noted that: "when you swing a Dick Nite on a spey rod, it is preferred nomenclature to refer to them as a "Penis Evening") for cohos and what have you.
I believe the Penis Evening nomenclature was a joint effort invention of Orangeradish and myself.

Jason Chadick

A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...
I can't seem to find the thread. But I believe you are correct Evan. Very clever, got some serious yuks outta that one. Well played good sir.

E

Evan Virnoche

so do you just run a Skagit head with a sink tip? im looking at the setup for gear fisherman, and they recommend swinging it. downstream and I jive with that. I also found in my searches that it isn't uncommon for fly fishers to use a spoon on a fly rod. just goes to show how ignorant I am about gear fishing. I guess for some reason when I hear spoon I think 3"metal with treble hooks coming off it in 9 directions

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
...just goes to show how ignorant I am about gear fishing
You said it...;)

While I don't typically practice the art of spoon/spey rod, I do have some friends that ALWAYS have a dick nite in their pocket for such occasions. Yes, if you go with the smaller wee dick nite, could probably toss it with a scandi. Oh man, that'll get the tweed crowd in a fit. Grease lining a spoon... LOL

You said it...;)

While I don't typically practice the art of spoon/spey rod, I do have some friends that ALWAYS have a dick nite in their pocket for such occasions. Yes, if you go with the smaller wee dick nite, could probably toss it with a scandi. Oh man, that'll get the tweed crowd in a fit. Grease lining a spoon... LOL
Dick Nite spoons are typically lighter than most flies

E

Evan Virnoche

Dick Nite spoons are typically lighter than most flies
hahaha im going to try this tomorrow night hahaha. I could run a dick nite on the stilly too as long as its single barbless and from a fly rod correct?

Luke
you had me dying at grease lining a spoon

hahaha im going to try this tomorrow night hahaha. I could run a dick nite on the stilly too as long as its single barbless and from a fly rod correct?

Luke
you had me dying at grease lining a spoon
I actually don't think that's legal on the stilly.

I've honestly only ever thrown the Dick Nite on the fly rod for pinks two years ago. But a lot of guys do it for steelhead.