Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Masterbuilt Smoker

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeff Dodd 
#1 ·
It is the time of year to be smoking up a lot salmon. I have been using an electric Masterbuilt smoker(sportsmans elite) for 5 years and been very pleased how well/convenient it is to use. Cabela's has a $50 off sale on these smoker with a price of $180. This smoker has digital controls for temperature and time with 4 racks(730 sq.in. of cooking space) and have insulated metal double walls.

A couple of days ago I smoked 4 pink salmon and still had room for at least 1 more fish. It took 3 1/2 hours to smoke the fish at 225 degrees F.

Great smoker for the price!

Roger

#3 ·
Good tip!

Do you leave this outside and continue smoking meat when it rains? This has been a concern of mine with electric smokers
There is a covered area on our backyard deck so rainy weather is no problem. Also I have used it under the covered area at our front door. There are electrial outlets in both areas but I prefer using the back deck area.

Roger

#4 ·
Might have to upgrade analog Masterbuilt but it works great and I've done several species of salmon and a turkey. I smoke at 190 degrees and can finish a rack of three in 3-4 hours depending on the thickness of the fillets. I like the idea of digital thermostat and electronic timer.

#8 ·
Use a fine chip. All your cold smoking smokers (the lil chief comes to mind) only runs around 160. It puts out plenty of smoke. Problem usually is you have to thick of wood in the pan and your pan is probably too thick. Try replacing the pan over the electric element with a thin alumium pan (like the disposable trays) or even making a smoke pouch out of aluminum foil.

#7 ·
Question, is this smoker on Amazon the same as the one Cabelas calls the Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite? It apprears to be the same. If so it's $177 on Amazon with free shipping. This seems to offer a lot of value compared to say a big chief. Anyone know?

Edit: Just realized Cabelas has free shipping over $150 right now and the smoker comes with a free cover ($25 value). I think I'm going to order it.

#11 ·
Not a problem, been smoking for years (both cold smoke to slow smoke BBQ). Even at around 120 or less, those shavings will smolder and smoke. If they can on a lil chief, which during the winter truly is COLD SMOKE, it'll smolder in this weather. Just change up the pans. Go for the stuff that almost looks like sawdust. If it's chunky at all, that wood will not ignite.

Reactions: Rosetime
#13 ·
Just using my smokevault. Hard to cold smoke with it without being creative. But have about everything I need to build a walk in smoker on my property. :)

#14 ·
I have a Masterbuilt smoker and have found that you have to put chips in both the chip tray and the metal tray directly under the heating element so some of the chips touch the element. Then crank it to 200 F till smoke starts and dial it back to 155 F. I have to repeat this twice during the smoking process when I add more chips. There is much discussion on BBQ forums of the problem getting smoke at low temperatures with this smoker. It takes me just under three hours to smoke pink fillets at 155 F and they turn out quite moist.

#16 ·
I have a Masterbuilt smoker and have found that you have to put chips in both the chip tray and the metal tray directly under the heating element so some of the chips touch the element. Then crank it to 200 F till smoke starts and dial it back to 155 F. I have to repeat this twice during the smoking process when I add more chips. There is much discussion on BBQ forums of the problem getting smoke at low temperatures with this smoker. It takes me just under three hours to smoke pink fillets at 155 F and they turn out quite moist.
I've never used a Masterbuilt, at least I don't think I have (have used a ton of BBQ'ers over the years). Have you tried making a smoke pouch and tossing it on the element? How thick coarse of wood are you putting in the pans?

#17 ·
Haven't tied making a foil pouch, but will do so next time, as I think it will prevent the chips from catching fire (which can raise the temp to ~180). I've used mulch to chunk size chips directly on the element with good success. Not even sawdust or very fine chips will smoke much in the usual chip tray at <180 degrees.

I have the model with the digital thermostat which is otherwise pretty awesome for the price. It is very well insulated and the timer function quite handy when I cannot be around to babysit the smoker.

#18 ·
Haven't tied making a foil pouch, but will do so next time, as I think it will prevent the chips from catching fire (which can raise the temp to ~180). I've used mulch to chunk size chips directly on the element with good success. Not even sawdust or very fine chips will smoke much in the usual chip tray at <180 degrees.

I have the model with the digital thermostat which is otherwise pretty awesome for the price. It is very well insulated and the timer function quite handy when I cannot be around to babysit the smoker.
Try the smoke pouch. Use heavy aluminum foil and use TWO sheets together. Toss the chips in and fold closed. Use a fork or knife to cut JUST the top of the pouch and toss it on the element. For added flavor, soak the chips in cheap whiskey. :)

Reactions: mtskibum16
#19 ·
Just ordered the one from Cabela's. With "free shipping" there is still an oversize charge. I heard back from Mastbuilt and the Cabella's one has a built in meat probe and is otherwise the same as the one on Amazon. So for less than $20 more shipped you get the meat probe and a cover. Thanks for the heads up Roger!

#20 ·
So what temps are you guys smoking at? I see a few suggestions above. I'm going to get a batch going tomorrow hopefully. Also, I'm doing a dry brine and I'm looking at a couple different recipes. One shows to rinse after brining then dry and the other shows to not rinse after the brine. So do you guys rinse after the brine or not?

#21 ·
Well you're doing a dry brine, so leave it as is. Wet brine, I usually will do a rinse. Mostly because you'll have a slime thanks to the wet bath it's soaking in.

On temps, I normally just run it around 140-160 range. I like a cold smoke and drying the fish out. But this takes awhile, not a fast process. If you want it moist run a tad hotter (maybe around 180-200) and it'll be done quicker. Dryer outter flesh/skin but moister meat inside.

#22 ·
Well you're doing a dry brine, so leave it as is. Wet brine, I usually will do a rinse. Mostly because you'll have a slime thanks to the wet bath it's soaking in.

On temps, I normally just run it around 140-160 range. I like a cold smoke and drying the fish out. But this takes awhile, not a fast process. If you want it moist run a tad hotter (maybe around 180-200) and it'll be done quicker. Dryer outter flesh/skin but moister meat inside.
Thanks Jerry. Well with a "dry brine" it quickly turns in to a bath of liquid so when you take it out I assume it's close to having had soaked it in a wet brine. I tend to like it dryer too so I'll try a lower temp.

#24 ·
New to me propane Master built smoker. Big upgrade from my great outdoors knock off. Dry brine now and smoking in a few hours. Real happy with this freebee smoker!
Mine came with no chip pan but I found a cast iron griddle I had fits perfectly in the bottom. Chips smoked up nicely on foil on the griddle.

Font Gas Audio equipment Rectangle Metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.