Cedar, almost over for 2013... what's your biggest?

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
I got this a long time ago between the golf course and the trailer park. Haven't seen many big ones since then with all the people I see throwing bait on the Cedar now though. I caught it on a size 18 red copper john - thought it was a sockeye initially. I taped it out at 23.75", but it wasn't a great measurement (the fish wouldn't stay still) so it could be off by an inch either way. View attachment 32024

Beautiful Lake run bad boy.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Great colors on that one. And what an intro to the urban trout scene on the cedar. It may feel a little dirty at times, but nothing keeps a trout bum going through the work week like popping in for a few and hooking up with such memorable fish in the middle of the city.

Cuttbow82

Just started fishing it about a month ago. I'm still learning the river and how to access it and did not yet catch any of the big guys. I plan on fishing it heavily from the start of the season next year.

btw, nice pics to all who posted. Those are some impressive fish! Way to go!

Just started fishing it about a month ago. I'm still learning the river and how to access it and did not yet catch any of the big guys. I plan on fishing it heavily from the start of the season next year.

btw, nice pics to all who posted. Those are some impressive fish! Way to go!
Careful wading in early June! :)

tinman207

Careful wading in early June! :)
No kidding....I almost met the maker a few seasons back when testing some water I had been fishing previous years. Now I go by flows to gauge when I will actually step in....that river changes so much in a year.
If you are dying to go at the opener, hit me up. I fish a lot of private access land that I have worked out, and early on there is some incredible high stick nymphing in one boulder area I spend most of June in, and wading isn't needed to hit a bunch of great holes. Jim's Cedar Stone is a weapon of mass destruction during that period with the grade and depth of those holes. I mostly fish alone, but would love company anytime.

dibling

No kidding....I almost met the maker a few seasons back when testing some water I had been fishing previous years. Now I go by flows to gauge when I will actually step in....that river changes so much in a year.
If you are dying to go at the opener, hit me up. I fish a lot of private access land that I have worked out, and early on there is some incredible high stick nymphing in one boulder area I spend most of June in, and wading isn't needed to hit a bunch of great holes. Jim's Cedar Stone is a weapon of mass destruction during that period with the grade and depth of those holes. I mostly fish alone, but would love company anytime.

Tinman - Would love to Ceder with you next year. I skipped this year entirely after overdoing it last summer. I also got mildly obsessed with learning lake and salt fishing.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
Same 18 inch fish from a trash strewn donut hole on two different occasions, fat as could be, second time was 30 seconds after a tuber floated over. Season aint over yet, those greedy lake cutts like chasing up after the sockeye, some of whom typically are already in river in August

3 17-18" bows on a Royal Wulff, but didn't have much luck with that fly this year. Got a 16" last night on a hopper after getting a few looks at a #8 orange stimulator, decided to try the hopper and it hit hard on the 2nd cast. The Cedar's a fun river if you can find a place away from the trash. Somehow the trash finds you, though.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
geez mingo, blowin it up with those. I see a crowded cedar next year:). People will fly in from all over and skip the yak all together. But seriously those are some of the best I've seen in hand, I've gotten glimpses, but no more 5x for me next year.