Can I fix the cracks in my shooting head?

Anybody ever fixed cracks in their shooting head. I have a fairly new wulff ambush taper that has just developed some serious cracks in the shooting head down by where it transitions into the running line ;the kind of cracks that go all the way around the core to the core. I would just send it back to wulff but I have a remote fly in steelie trip booked a few days from now. Thanks

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
I got a bit more life out of a Airflo 40+ beach line this summer by using UV cure on it.
I spread it on very thin so there weren't any bumps then hit it with the UV light. It held up for about another month before giving up the ghost.
SF

Find a loaner line if you can and send it back. I just had a Wulff Ambush intermediate start cracking in a ten foot section of the running line behind the head. The line was only two months old. I called customer service and sent it back. They were really good about getting me a new one quickly. It was about a five day turn around. I would call customer service regardless, explain your situation, and hopefully you can send it back after your trip. I really hope this is just a bad manufacturing run.

As someone else recommended...call the manufacturer first to find out warranty info. Then I normally use aquaseal to repair any of my lines that develop a crack.

Good luck,
Christian

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
just had the same thing happen with a 9 month old, heavily used ambush line. I took it to the shop I got it from and explained my situation, and how I couldn't be out a line in the middle of salmon season. Erik at GH gave me a new one and sent the old one back wulff for me. I was so happy to get it right away that I assured him that if the manufacturer would not cover it, which we were pretty sure they would, then I would come back and square up for the new line.
I stopped in a couple weeks later and he said they sent him a new one no problem and he just popped it back on the shelf. Talk to the fly shop you bought it from, if your a regular they'll probably set you up.

Got it figured out, thanks everyone for the replies; I must say the people at Wulff went above and beyond for me , it looks like with any luck I may have the replacement line in time for my trip. It's nice to know there are still companies in this industry that work one on one with their customers. Cheers

Erik at GH gave me a new one and sent the old one back wulff for me. I was so happy to get it right away that I assured him that if the manufacturer would not cover it, which we were pretty sure they would, then I would come back and square up for the new line.
I stopped in a couple weeks later and he said they sent him a new one no problem and he just popped it back on the shelf.
Now that is great service!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Glad you got your line issue taken care of and enjoy your trip.

I've only fished a Wulff line for about 30 minutes on the beach and can't remember what type it was. It had a teal blue running line I believe and the head was noticably shorter then my 40+ line.
The one thing I noticed is there was a very dramatic difference in the line diameter where it transitioned from the head to the running line.
There was a very noticable thump when the head exited the top guide. It sound like this transition area is where some have had issues with the line cracking.
I wonder if the line was designed to have a more gradual taper that the cracking issue may not happen? It seemed with the line I used that the head might actually pull free from the running line over time with extended use.
SF