Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP!!! I broke my soon to be ex-friends

Wanted 
4K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  1Richcrook 
#1 ·
Sage SPL 363-3 that I was borrowing. He loves this rod and told me to be careful.

Sage can't repair because there are no sections left that I broke.

Anyone have one laying around that could be put to good use???

Thanks.

#5 ·
I did a quick Google search and didn't even see one for sale anywhere... you're F'd. Tell him now and let him pick out the replacement. A reminder to never lend out rods that aren't in production anymore, I've got a SP+ 490 I don't even let other people cast, and barely fish myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I don't understand what you mean by "Sage can't repair because there are no sections left that I broke." I have an SP that Sage fixed last year. Are you saying you lost the broken parts or you no longer have them or ...?

It sounds like it's going to be for you an unfortunate but expensive lesson about borrowing, If Sage can't help you. (Been there, done that). That means you'll have to figure out what market is and pay for the rod, or get him to agree to wait X amount of months for you to be locate and purchase a replacement, or have to buy him a current/like model replacement. That's not a very common rod.

It sounds likely like you're a up a creek without a paddle. Does your friend own firearms? Maybe you should borrow them so he doesn't have them available when you tell him the rod is broken and doesn't appear repairable... :)

Not an enviable position, at all.

#11 ·
Sage will rebuild a complete rod for you. It will include an upgrade fee of a couple hundred bucks, but they will build the next series they have all components for. This may help you get a new rod...again, a newer generation. For instance, I went through this with a graphite II LL series rod I owned and they no longer made the graphite II so they built me a new rod in graphite III. The rod they built for me was out of production, but they had the components. My upgrade fee was $185. Call Sage and look for all options. Good luck...

#16 ·
anti team's suggestion is excellent! It's a modern fiberglass rod that is listed as a 3wt, but Kabuto rods are fast for glass, so could also take a 4wt line. Because it's a fast glass rod, it will feel close in action to the slower graphite of an SPL (or LL). Sagebass (Colt) is a good guy too; I know him from the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum and many have used his rods. He does good work. And $350 is a good price considering a Kabuto from the Japanese maker himself is around $600.

#24 ·
Closing loop. I went to freewebs.com/flysupplies and finally got a quote for a new rod so I could offer the replacement.

I called my buddy and told him the bad news offering the replacement.

"Shit happens, that is why I bought a Sage."

He even wanted to pay the $50 to upgrade I told him way.

Crisis averted.

Please close thread.

#26 ·
Closing loop. I went to freewebs.com/flysupplies and finally got a quote for a new rod so I could offer the replacement.

I called my buddy and told him the bad news offering the replacement.

"Shit happens, that is why I bought a Sage."

He even wanted to pay the $50 to upgrade I told him way.

Crisis averted.

Please close thread.
Its amazing the power of a little KY

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.