MF Snoqualmie,winter,streamers ?

JasonG

I took my 8 year old son out today to look for some fishy water at the middle fork of the Snoqualmie. We weren't fishing today . We were just hiking around, anyway we found some very deep holes. I was just wondering have any of you guys and girls had any luck with streamers in the winter on the MF. Thanks Jason

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I took my 8 year old son out today to look for some fishy water at the middle fork of the Snoqualmie. We weren't fishing today . We were just hiking around, anyway we found some very deep holes. I was just wondering have any of you guys and girls had any luck with streamers in the winter on the MF. Thanks Jason
Streamers not so much but a prince nymph can produce results...plus the whitefish love them which is fun

I think I'm headed up there this week if you want to tag along let me know

JasonG

Streamers not so much but a prince nymph can produce results...plus the whitefish love them which is fun

I think I'm headed up there this week if you want to tag along let me know
The water was a bit cloudy, so I thought a streamer might work. Have you caught white fish on the MF? We were pretty far in near the middle fork campground.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
The water was a bit cloudy, so I thought a streamer might work. Have you caught white fish on the MF? We were pretty far in near the middle fork campground.
Yea some 16" whitefish up on the forks (lower sections especially). Nice change of pace from the 10" trout every once in a while

I don't think many fish become predatory up there so I'm not too sure how a streamer would work, I've never bothered with one besides dumping a woolly bugger behind some logs that got hit.

Then again I'm probably wrong. If Kent or someone more knowledgeable chimes in listen to them

JasonG

Yea some 16" whitefish up on the forks (lower sections especially). Nice change of pace from the 10" trout every once in a while

I don't think many fish become predatory up there so I'm not too sure how a streamer would work, I've never bothered with one besides dumping a woolly bugger behind some logs that got hit.

Then again I'm probably wrong. If Kent or someone more knowledgeable chimes in listen to them
What wt rod do you use on the MF.? I've got a 5wt and a 2 wt.

My limited success on the Sno forks in winter has been with large, weighted nymphs (e.g., double bead prince in size 10), which are not fun to cast on a 2 or 3 weight. For my money, the drive over the pass to the Yak makes sense in the winter if you want to catch trout in moving water. Yes it is another 45 minutes to an hour each way, depending on where you fish, but the Yak is much more productive in the winter. Streamers are the ticket and the fish you catch are likely to be much bigger.
D