SBS Kaufmann's Floating Dragon SBS

ScottP

Floating version of the Lake Dragon; fish it on a sinking line and you can keep it above the weed beds

hook - TMC 5212 #6
thread - UTC 140 brown olive
eyes - plastic dumbell black
tail - chickabou grizzly olive
body - deer hair olive
legs - chickabou grizzly olive
wing case - turkey tail
head - dubbing mix angora brown olive/Simi Seal olive spectrum

mash barb, attach thread

tie in the eyes; after the fact, I realized that it would have been better to spin/trim the deer hair body first

take the thread back to point above the hook barb, measure a clump of chicabou (hook gap distance) and tie in; smooth butts with thread wraps and return thread to tail tie in

clean a clump of deer hair and trim tips (no need to stack)

tie in with 2 soft loops, firmly pull thread and spin the deer hair around the hook

pack hair with fingers, move thread forward and tie in another clump of deer hair

3rd clump, same as the last 2; tie off/trim thread

flip the fly over, lay a razor blade on the hook eye as a reference and push it back to the tail

flip it back over and trim the top (not quite as flat as the belly)

trim the sides at a pretty sharp taper rearwards

a little dubbing up front

another clump of chickabou; let it extend back to the hook point, one on each side

prep a section of turkey tail (gap width); fold, trim at an angle, tie in and trim butts

dub head, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

dorsal

ventral

Regards,
Scott

Great SBS, thanks. I've used the Dunc's Dragon for years, a spun deer hair dragon with pheasant rump hackle with good effect. I may try to incorporate some of the ideas here and see what transpires.

ScottP

Great SBS, thanks. I've used the Dunc's Dragon for years, a spun deer hair dragon with pheasant rump hackle with good effect. I may try to incorporate some of the ideas here and see what transpires.
Chris,

Dunc Dragon - a deer hair Carey Special; what a great idea. Please take some pics of your hybrid.

Regards,
Scott