SBS Flick Stonefly Creeper SBS

ScottP

Cool fly; didn't know he fished anything besides a Grey Fox Variant. A few different methods to attach the shellback, although none of the ones I've seen seem very durable; I'm lazy and chose the path of least resistance.

hook - Mustad 9671 #12
underbody - non-tox wire .025
thread - UTC 70 woodduck
shellback/wing pad - woodduck flank
tail - pheasant tail
abdomen - stripped hackle quill ginger
thorax - rabbit dirty gold
legs - partridge

mash barb, wrap front of shank with non-tox

start thread, wrap underbody, taper front and back

tie in a clump of woodduck fibers (hook gap width) by tips, wrap back to point above barb

measure 2 pheasant tail fibers for length (hook shank) and tie in on either side of shellback

strip a ginger neck quill, moisten (microwave 30 seconds in a damp napkin) and tie in; smooth underbody with thread

brush underbody with Sally (or Super Glue); wrap quill forward and tie off

dub thread, dub thorax

prep partridge, tie in by tip and wrap

squeeze front of fly from top and bottom (no pic, sorry) and take a few wraps back, pushing hackle fibers to the sides

pull shellback forward

tie down, trim, smooth head, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

Regards,
Scott

McNasty

Canyon Lurker
and im just gettin started on stone nymphs in my winter tyin. great sbs im gonna have to play around with that one.

Rob Ast

Good looking fly, but I wonder how durable the shell back is. Might play around with it. I also usually like to put a fold in my stonefly she'll backs to get that layered carapace look.

ScottP

Good looking fly, but I wonder how durable the shell back is. Might play around with it. I also usually like to put a fold in my stonefly she'll backs to get that layered carapace look.
Rob,

I doubt it would stand up to more than a fish or two; I was trying to tie it true-to-pattern and that's kinda how it looks. I already have a few ideas I'm playing around with.

Regards,
Scott

ScottP

Here's a few steps from a Hotwire variation with, hopefully, a better alternative to the fragile wingcase

take a whole flank feather

coat with Sally and pull it to shape; the center stem + glue should make it a lot more durable.

start the fly like the Flick version, but substitute wire for the quill body; I used ginger (Brassie) and copper (x-fine) wrapped side-by-side

after a few wraps, pull the shellback forward and secure with the copper wire

repeat up the body to the thorax

helicopter the wire and then finish the fly, same as the Flick

Regards,
Scott

Not that I am a great tier but could you coat the shell back after the tie to make it more durable? It's a great looking fly and seems relatively straight forward. My kind of fly.