Refreshing the chironomid box.

Mike Ediger

Spent a few nights last week refreshing the chironomid box. Some are new patterns I have seen on here recently, some are old faithfuls and some are experiments. My thought was tie some with beads for water deeper than 3-4 feet then some without beads but soft gills for shallower clearer presentations. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391845064.723942.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Ediger

I should also say there are several people on here who have answered questions and given me ideas and patterns for which I am very much appreciative. People like Blue, Troutpocket, Irafly, and others. Now I actually need to get out this spring and give a few of these a try.

jwg

Spent a few nights last week refreshing the chironomid box. Some are new patterns I have seen on here recently, some are old faithfuls ..

Curious to know which ones are the old faithfuls? I have lots of chironomids in my boxes but actually fish few. Some of the standard patterns have not worked for me.

jay

Mike Ediger

Mike these are looking great. Must be a pleasure filling the fly box with these flies.
What hook sizes do you prefer?

Other Mike
Mostly 12-14.
In that pic is some 12 #135 Dai-Riki scud/pupa, 13 Alec Jackson's (which are cool), #730 Dai-Ridi Nymph Hooks for the straight shank ties, and 14 curved #1273 red Daiichi hooks.

Mike Ediger

Curious to know which ones are the old faithfuls? I have lots of chironomids in my boxes but actually fish few. Some of the standard patterns have not worked for me.

jay
JWG, you are right, I generally only use black/holo-silver, chromie, and blood worm, those are really my old-faithfuls. I have honestly never messed around with other colors much.
First row on the left are ASB (anti-static bag) pupa which I have never tried before.
Second row are various version of blood worm, none of which I have tried before. (group closest is tied with red pheasant tail fibers).
Third row farthest away are Chromies, which is my second most productive chironomid, which I think is a Rowley or Chan fly. Closest on the third row is a little fly that Ira showed a few days ago on another thread. I am sure i didn't copy the pattern exactly, but literally takes minutes to tie and is very clean. I can't wait to try it in shallow clear water this spring.
Farthest row on the right and closest is some more red phesant tail experiments, middle is my old-faithful which is simply black/holo-silver (single best chironomid ever that JMills showed me a long time ago), and then finally a couple of brassies.
I have more colors that I am working on but this was a start.

Mike Ediger

By the way if anyone else wants to share a pic of their Old Faithful, I will add it to my collection as well

My old faithful has a white bead, peacock herl thorax, and abdomen varies, on 12 or 14 scud hook.
I used to put a peacock herl for thorax on every one and still do on a few, but in my attempt to simplify tying I left that out on some of these. We will see if it makes any difference. Not sure I catch enough fish to figure it out either way.

Kaiserman, check your posts for typos... you had me running around trying to find out what the newest material ABS is. I thought I was losing it. Then..... things clicked. Please do not mess with my mind.
The ABS (anti-lock braking system) midge pupa is for fishing lite-lines for big fish! A very important fly that should never be confused with the ASB (anti-static bag) midge pupa for targeting triploids or other techy fish.